Dancing With The Stars S29 Power Rankings (Finals)
Jan 12, 2021
- The finale came and went. I think Nev should’ve won, but congrats to Kaitlyn and Artem! Here is my ranking of the finale dances now that I’ve had time to decompress a bit. Before I rank, I have to mention Derek’s season tribute, which would’ve honestly topped all of these dances if eligible for the ranking.
8. Nelly and Daniella Karagach (Freestyle)- This freestyle was awesome, but I do think it was much more Daniella’s dance than Nelly. Nelly was good, but Daniella was great. She is a pro to look out for because she could really take the competition by storm in seasons to come. She almost did it this time around.
7. Nelly and Daniella Karagach (First Dance)- This was one of my favorite Nelly dances this season, so I’m glad he decided to dance to this one. I think it was a fun way to celebrate how improved of a dancer he is. It was even stronger than his freestyle in my opinion. I do think his two dances paled in comparison with pretty much everyone else, but this was still some of Nelly’s personal best.
6. Justina Machado and Sasha Farber (First Dance)- Justina’s first round dance is so much fun, but being a dance from week 1, it seemed a tad less impressive than Kaitlyn and Nev’s because the content of the dance itself was a tad less challenging. I still love her energy and my god has she always been exuding confidence. She’s been one of my favorites to watch this season, and this is the one that started it all. Well earned 10s across the board.
5. Kaitlyn Bristowe and Artem Chigvinstev (Freestyle)- Kaitlyn did a great job bringing character and life to this dance. I do think it honestly got a tad messy in places, but it was a more charismatic side to Kaitlyn than we’ve ever seen. She was bubbly and sweet, and full of fun passion and exuberance. I just think Justina and Nev’s freestyles were stronger than hers, and her Toxic dance was probably the better of her two routines in the finale…but still, this was a great dance and would’ve still stood out on any other season not as stacked with talent.
4. Kaitlyn Bristowe and Artem Chigvinstev (First Dance)- Their Toxic dance was a great one this season, but this brought a new level of energy, focus, and clarity. It was one of her best of the season, though I don’t know if I’m quite on the Carrie Ann train of hailing it as one of the best dances the show has ever seen. It was good, but not top 10 of all time.
3. Nev Schulman and Jenna Johnson (First Dance)- Now THIS might be a top 10 all-time dance. Yes, the two freestyles above it were more exciting because they were fresh and new, but this was still an astounding dance and easily the best of the first round. His technique is just brilliant. I’m so surprised he didn’t win.
2. Justina Machado and Sasha Farber (Freestyle)- Justina had the coolest opening to any freestyle ever. It wasn’t on Nev’s level of creativity and perfection, but the whole dance was such a great celebration of Justina’s culture and overall journey in this season. She was a favorite from the beginning, and I can’t wait to look back at her routines with such a fond memory, as she really delivered week after week. What a joy it was seeing Justina dance every week. Fourth place was absolutely puzzling.
1. Nev Schulman and Jenna Johnson (Freestyle)- THIS is a freestyle for the ages. Nev and Jenna had a great vision with this dance and really brought it to life. Nev is a natural entertainer, and it shows. The water was epic, the lighter moments sweet. Singin’ in the Rain is my favorite movie and Nev just knew how to capture my heart with this one. I really am wowed that he didn’t win.
We all know how the show ended up, and I wish Nev had won, I’m surprised Justina got 4th (even if I did predict it) given how strong she was on finale night. Overall, a great season with a pretty good winner. Maybe Tayshia will compete next season so we can get three Bachelorette winners in a row! Only time will tell, but kudos for the ABC crew for pulling off a season in a pandemic. This was fun!
Leave a comment