This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

#NTM19 - Challenge & Photoshoot (10)

Topic » #NTM19 - Challenge &..

303 days 9 hours ago
Jerard
Challenge #10

"Ajak Deng"

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExN2swemdsdDdleTAyNHEwajI5NThvOTJvYWxmYjhsNDAwMW5jY3A2OSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/j6dQ1vv6qtrxnvHhYG/giphy.gif

Hello, Top 5! Welcome to the kick-off of our Megaleg, we have here with us your guest judge, also one of our former NTM judge, it's no other than, Lenox Tillman!

For your challenge this week, we will be giving tribute to the winner of the Next Top Model Cycle 16: Continental Drift, Ajak Deng.

Ajak Deng is the first African winner of the series, and in her photoshoot she has given tribute to her roots thus relating to your challenge this week, giving tribute to your own countries.

This week, you will have the opportunity to embrace and portray your nationalities, celebrating the diversity and cultural richness they bring to the world. This challenge will also be a powerful platform for you to showcase your heritage, instilling a sense of pride and authenticity. You may opt to showcase your country in different ways such as: (1) donning your traditional attire that is reflective of your cultural heritage, (2) paying tribute to iconic landmarks or symbols associated with your country, (3) showcase the traditional crafts and artistry of the models' respective country, and many more.

You have 24 hours to do the challenge. Good luck! x
303 days 8 hours ago
SeongWoo
Shocked that we wont have go-sees 😱
303 days 8 hours ago
Minie
Stop asking for it Lmao
303 days 5 hours ago
Delano
Anja Rubik

Link: https://imgur.com/l3uQVsD

This essay is definitely a risky move for me. However, it was the best way I found to represent my country, Poland, due to its past.

History:

Poland is a culturally rich country, marked by artistic movements like MÅ‚oda Polska and all the symbolism involved; the wedding, which is an extremely happy party and watered to games and gifts, in addition to all the celebration and feeling of gratitude involved between the bride and groom and their guests and family. In addition, we have the commemorative dates, such as December 6, which is a date for exchanging gifts, in addition to the Easter holiday, where individuals usually exchange colored eggs or "Pisanki" before breakfast. The commemorative dates and the wedding are striking features of Polish culture and strongly linked with the Catholic religion, which dominates the country and its customs.

But Poland has also been involved in difficult times in its past. It participated in several wars, the last of which, World War II, had a negative impact on its history. Most of the Nazi concentration camps were located in Polish territories. And, as we know, many people were victims in these places during the war period.

Explication:

Thinking about this scenario, my shoot today is a junction of the cultural aspects of Poland, along with the bad past of the country, because, unfortunately, it is one of the hallmarks of the country.

I am representing the dominant culture of the country, that is, marriage and the Catholic religion through the white and long dress, with modeling aimed at the older years. The black part of the clothing, that is, the boot and jacket, represent the country's remarkable past, focused on the war and all the mourning that this period left for the families of the victims and the survivors of the time.

The white face, together with the candle, represent the offer of peace, and the request that moments such as those of war not be repeated. The contrast in the hair, that is, one part neat and the other messy (black), also represent the duality between a country that has an incredibly rich and festive culture, but that on the other hand, has a sad and guilty past. The reddish tones in the makeup were thought to make a reference to the country's flag, which is red and white. But I decided to leave it in a light tone, because the red passes an idea of festivity and vibrancy, but that is lost as more of the history of the country is known. That's why red isn't as present in my essay.

My look is a tribute to the festive and religious side of Poland, but also a representation of a past that can never be forgotten, lest it be repeated.
303 days 4 hours ago
nikw98
Lenox: Hello models! So happy to be back and so excited for the week!
302 days 23 hours ago
Minie
V: Hello judge Lenox nice to meet you.

Submission:

I’m dressed in a men’s hanbok which is a traditional clothing for South Koreans. I’m also holding on to a traditional South Korean lantern which is called a Chorong which symbolizes harmony. It is lit on one of South Korea’s biggest holidays Chuseok, which is thanksgiving according to western culture.

While my main focus for this shoot being point number 1 where I am dressed in my country’s traditional attire I am still covering point 2 with the symbolic item Chorong.

https://imgur.com/a/K1TdCaY
302 days 16 hours ago
SeongWoo
Jackson Yee
https://i.imgur.com/dkTGbL5.gif
(https://i.imgur.com/dkTGbL5.jpg )

Chinese New Year is a New Year's Eve celebration in Chinese culture. This passage follows the Chinese calendar, a lunar calendar that has 12 months and, in leap years, 13 months. New Year is one of the most popular festivals in China and is a holiday that can last up to seven days.

New Year's Eve for the Chinese is one of the most important and most popular commemorative dates in their culture. It doesn't just happen in China, but also in countries like South Korea and Japan, for example. Other countries with significant Chinese populations also register significant celebrations.

A practice in the Chinese calendar is to relate each year to different animals. This custom comes from Buddhism, as a tale from this religion tells of an occasion when Buddha invited animals to a festivity, but only 12 of them would have appeared. To honor them, the years came to be known by the order of arrival of each animal.

Chinese mythology tells that the practice of celebrating the New Year arose when an elder appeared in a village saying that wearing red and decorating the streets with red lanterns 
and setting off fireworks were ways to ward off a monster called Nian.

So here am I, wearing red and being in the middle of the lanterns to keep alive.
302 days 13 hours ago
coolKat
-Liu Wen-

https://i.imgur.com/pIEqg9N.jpg

In this photo I am choosing to showcase different symbols that represent China.

Red Chinese Lanterns are prominent in this photo which represents prosperity and good fortune, which is something that I desperately need in this competition, and something I have had more recently and hope to continue to have. Red is meant to be auspicious in general according to the Taoist philosophy of the five elements- which represents the saying ‘bound to succeed’ which is why it is also heavily represented in this photo as well.

Blue Lanterns often symbolizes sickness or a deceasing energy which represents my not so strong moments in the competition- a time when I entered a rough patch and received a bunch of negative feedback which did decrease my energy and made me less enthused about continuing on in the competition- but those are overshadowed by the red lanterns which are in the foreground and the general lack of blue everywhere else signifies I have returned back to How I started which Is strong and prosperous.

There is also a dragon in my photo which helps tie in the red and blue as it signifies good luck, strength, and health- though this time good health rather than sickness. Which it’s placement signifies that my life in this game is strong and that good luck is on the horizon for me in this competition!

(Hopefully this all makes sense lol- typing this with a major headache and about to sleep but yeah!)
302 days 10 hours ago
Rubes
~ Rianne Van Rompaey ~

One of the most well known and most visited places in the Netherlands is the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam. I’m sure we all know who Anne Frank is but let me give you a summary of her life story and her importance to the Netherlands as a country.

Anne Frank was born in the German city of Frankfurt am Main in 1929. Unemployment was high and poverty was severe in Germany, and it was the period in which Adolf Hitler and his party were gaining more and more supporters. Hitler hated the Jews and blamed them for the problems in the country. The hatred of Jews and the poor economic situation made Anne's parents, Otto and Edith Frank, decide to move to Amsterdam.

Before long, Anne felt right at home in the Netherlands. She learned the language, made new friends and went to a Dutch school near her home. On 1 September 1939, when Anne was 10 years old, Nazi Germany invaded Poland, and so the Second World War began. Not long after, on 10 May 1940, the Nazis also invaded the Netherlands. Five days later, the Dutch army surrendered. Slowly but surely, the Nazis introduced more and more laws and regulations that made the lives of Jews more difficult. Her father lost his company, since Jews were no longer allowed to run their own businesses. All Jewish children, including Anne, had to go to separate Jewish schools.

The Nazis took things further, one step at the time. Jews had to start wearing a Star of David on their clothes and there were rumours that all Jews would have to leave the Netherlands. In the spring of 1942, Anne’s father had started furnishing a hiding place in the annex of his business premises at Prinsengracht 263. On her thirteenth birthday, just before they went into hiding, Anne was presented with a diary. During the two years in hiding, Anne wrote about events in the Secret Annex, but also about her feelings and thoughts.

Anne started rewriting her diary, but before she was done, she and the other people in hiding were discovered and arrested by police officers on 4 August 1944. Anne, Margot and their mother were sent to the labour camp for women. Otto ended up in a camp for men. In early November 1944, Anne was put on transport again. She was deported to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp with Margot. Their parents stayed behind in Auschwitz. The conditions in Bergen-Belsen were horrible too. There was a lack of food, it was cold, wet and there were contagious diseases. Anne and Margot contracted typhus. In February 1945 they both died owing to its effects, Margot first, Anne shortly afterwards.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel my photo for this weeks challenge is very self explanatory but let me give a brief explanation anyways. In this shot I’m giving you the sheer terror and fear that Anne and her family were going through when they were in hiding in the secret annex. They had to stay put and stay extremely quiet for two years always in fear of being found and taken away and I wanted to capture all of that in this shot today. Thank you.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i5wj-ndExXc/VcsZPBJbiFI/AAAAAAAHG7w/9flVDniMZyw/s1600/Vogue-UK-September-2015-Rianne-Van-Rompaey-by-Craig-McDean-07.jpg
302 days 9 hours ago
Jerard
XXCLOSEDXX
301 days 16 hours ago
nikw98
Lenox's Comments:

First off, I just want to congratulate you all on making it this far. It is not an easy task at all! You should all be very proud of yourselves.

Anja Rubik-
I'm very interested in this shot. I think that you explained it very well and the shot itself is absolutely stunning! You did a very great job at letting us know about your background and your culture and using it in your artistry. Great job!

Kim Taehyung "V"-
I really enjoy the lighting of this shot. It really sets a mood and a tone for the photo itself. I think that you did what was necessary and you look good doing it. Good job :)

Jackson Yee-
(First off, hey Seongwoo! Long time no see!)
I love this shot. It's sweet and quiet, yet says so much. I think you look amazing and I love the posing. It's weird and awkward in the best ways. Great job!

Liu Wen-
First and foremost, this shot is gorgeous. It is absolutely stellar. I think that what you were going for in the explanation is there and I think this was a great showing! Great job!

Rianne Van Rompaey-
This photo is on another level. It's so chilling and it's quite literally gives me goosebumps seeing it. When reading the explanation you gave, I was a bit worried that you wouldn't be able to convey what needed to be for a shot like that, but you delivered beyond  and it was absolutely incredible to see! Great Job!
301 days 11 hours ago
SeongWoo
(Hiiii nik 💕)
301 days 10 hours ago
Jerard
I’m here to announce your challenge results.
301 days 10 hours ago
Jerard
The winner of this challenge will be given an additional 2 points to his/her total score this week.
301 days 10 hours ago
Jerard
And here are Judge Lenox’s Top 3…

open group

NEXT TOP MODEL 20: Fans vs Favorites

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!