This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

#NTM19 - Challenge & Photoshoot (4)

Topic » #NTM19 - Challenge &..

343 days 15 hours ago
coolKat
-Liu Wen-

https://www.designscene.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Liu-Wen-Vogue-China-Margaret-Zhang-11.jpg
Advocate for Ocean Wildlife

I, like Garrett, am a huge supporter for keeping our oceans and the animals that inhabit them safe.

Everyday more and more trash ends up in our oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, all bodies of water - and more and more animals are affected by the trash as well.

Whether I be ingestion of something they shouldn’t, infestation of it into their homes, or also getting trapped in the trash, with no way out.

In my photo I am modeling as one of those precious creatures who have unfortunately been trapped in the net, with no way out, my face conveying the message of that animal whose wondering how they ended up in this situation and imagining what their life would have gone on to be like, had they not gotten trapped.
343 days 15 hours ago
camell22
~~~~~~~~~Woobin~~~~~~~~~~~~
Advocating Mental Health Awareness
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d7/ca/4e/d7ca4e81082a2d82ef6e8238897f6a25.jpg

In my shot, I want to create a world of the human mind.

Let's say this tree is the anatomy of the human mind. A healthy tree (mentality) would have clear skies and soft fluffy clouds roaming in the skies. The healthy tree would also have green leaves flowing through the wind as you can lay down and pick an apple from the stem and have a good old relaxation

..............but that's not the case.

There are so many wrongs in this photo (in fact the opposite), the tree looks very unstable and chipping away. The branches are not even close to being strong and are breaking. Fog everywhere with the gloomy skies to a point you can't really see around.

That tree, that tree right there is that mentality that needs to be taken care of and helped out of that toxic.

As you see mental illness can be caused in more than one scenario. Behavioral issues (extreme anger, sadness, etc) Unhealthy stress, trauma, and more.

So that fog symbolizes the pollution of the toxic events that had happened in a person's life causing the tree (aka the person mentality) to become weak and fragile and slowly decaying making the fall not only hard to watch but very dangerous when hit to the ground.
343 days 9 hours ago
humanwebjet1
~ Du Juan ~

https://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_2021_04/1387398-800w.jpg.6bdd5b14703e87e12160b0b8e11a944b.jpg

In this shot, I aim to capture the profound message of climate change and its devastating impact on our planet, intertwining it with a melancholic portrayal of the Earth's emotions as it suffers from our actions. The image serves as a visual lament, depicting the gradual retreat of harmony from our world, mirrored through the use of colours and symbolism.

The backdrop of the photograph presents a landscape once teeming with vibrant life, but now bathed in shades of desolation. The withered vegetation and barren trees convey the repercussions of human activities, reflecting the relentless assault on our natural resources. The absence of life-affirming greenery starkly contrasts with the world we once knew, emphasizing the disarray and disharmony caused by our collective negligence.

My stance representing Earth, the globe, subtly cracked and fragmented, serves as a poignant metaphor for the fractures we have inflicted upon our home, symbolizing the irreversible damage caused by climate change. My crouched stance/ pose slowly retracting into that fetal and comfortable position. It evokes a sense of sorrow and urgency, prompting introspection and encouraging dialogue about the preservation of our planet. By portraying the Earth's emotions and our collective responsibility for its distress, I aim to ignite a passionate advocacy for climate action, urging us to work towards restoring harmony and balance with our environment.

Climate change is not an abstract concept; it is a pressing reality that demands our immediate attention and collective action. Through my lens, I have endeavored to capture the essence of the Earth's cry, the retreat of harmony, and our shared responsibility to rectify the course we have set. The Earth, our only home, is reeling from the consequences of our actions, and it is up to us to reverse the tide of destruction.Let its melancholic portrayal ignite a fire within you—a fire to fight for a sustainable future, a fire to protect the harmony that we have lost. The time to act is now, and this image is a testament to my unwavering dedication to climate advocacy.
342 days 22 hours ago
SeongWoo
*watches Tais leaving the house*

- Oh my god 🫢
(She left the group)
342 days 21 hours ago
Minie
Did she not submit?
342 days 20 hours ago
Rubes
She didn’t sadly
342 days 14 hours ago
Jerard
XXCLOSEDXX
342 days 14 hours ago
Jerard
Panel will be posted on June 1, 6PM EST
342 days 1 hour ago
Jerard
Garrett's comments (mailed to me):

Anja Rubik (Delano): "Advocating for the preservation of vegetation on the beach," I think, overall, this shot is very solid. I agree that you have placed everything listed in your explanation here in your photo, so overall, this was good!

Doja Cat (Ajathekween): "Advocating for Sexual Liberation" I agree it is often this thought that women should not be sexually explicit or they should be ladylike. In terms of your photo, it speaks to everything you're representing and advocating for, which is fantastic! I like your pose, especially with the whip in hand; that makes this photo much better. This photo is a huge statement piece and excellently done!

Jackson Yee (SeongWoo): Typically, when a contestant is given the advantage of posting two photos, they are judged or scored instead on the better of the two. If I am honest, I do not think either one outshined the other to where it was a clear favorite without me having to weigh each one and think through things. Regarding your first photo, if there were no explanation present, I would not have guessed "Mental Health." The straw doll and the pose are a bit of a stretch in terms of connecting the pieces. The second photo doesn't stick, but it sticks just a little bit more than the first, so if I had to say which was the better of the two, it would no doubt be photo number 2. "Advocating for Homeless Animals" I see the connection you're making with the animal being homeless and speaking up for giving a home to these what would be looked at as stray or wild animals.

Du Juan (humanwebjet1): "Advocating for Climate Change," I think, overall, this is a solid photo. I see the whole climate change route you're trying to go here. I think the coloring and backdrop can either mess up the shot or make it 10x better, depending on how you look at it.

Liu Wen (coolKat): "Advocating for Ocean Wildlife" I love the cause, which I closely identify. I was confused without your explanation since it was not the most obvious. Since reading your description and looking at your photo see the connection of the fish being caught in the net, which is illustrated with the dress you're wearing.

Rianne Van Rompaey (Rubes): "Recycling of Clothing" I see your connection or foreshadowing with the clothing. Overall, this is a pretty solid photo. I don't have anything negative to say.

Simon Nessman (LaCroix): "Advocating for the ecology of the environment" Your advocacy was very similar to mine, and I love how you, in a way, made it personal in terms of painting the picture of how you developed this passion for advocating for this cause. The photo is not like mine, which it does not have to be, but I do like where you went.

Kim Taehyung "V" (Minie): "Advocating for Assault Victims" NOTTTT what I was expecting in terms of a photo at all. The theme is dark; however, you did a phenomenal job illustrating your cause and encouraging victims to speak out. Here is your shot; it's very evident some assault has happened, and holding the phone just puts that extra layer on top, so Kim, fantastic job!

Kim Woobin (camell22): "Advocating for Mental Health" I do not know how to feel about this photo. On the one hand, I can follow this whole tree in terms of mentality, the fog symbolizing toxic events surrounding and the decaying aspect; however, on the other hand, I can see this as a stretch in terms of you making this photo what you want it to be and what you like us to believe it is showcasing not what it is if that makes sense so which is why I am not the biggest fan of this shot or the quality of the shot either.
341 days 23 hours ago
IceBear
Jude Reece’s Comments:

Doja - Using your own lyrics as apart of your statement was genius. That’s as clear as it gets for proof you believe in your cause. Your photo strikes power, liberation, and control in your story. Your voice is loudly heard in this representation and I think you’ve aced this week.

Anja - I agree that wearing and using light colors creates a hopeful tone while your slumped posture shows the challenge that you’re facing. It was a nice touch to be next to the tallest plant while everything else was barely sprouting. Good job!

Simon - Your caption proves how dedicated you are towards environmental improvement. The photo is missing that passion. I would have liked if you had interacted or utilized your environment more than what was presented. You hit the theme, but that’s about it.

V - I have a feeling this may be a controversial photo for a lot of people given the sensitivity of the topic. This looks very authentic, from the beaten face to the motel-esque background. I thought it was a smart decision to fully lay out while holding the phone.
I found your photo very raw but not over the top, which is an essential balance for a topic of this nature. This was a big risk that payed off.

Jackson - Like Judge Garrett stated, there wasn’t one clear front runner between your two photos, but I preferred the mental health photo over the homeless animal one. Your first photo was not only  more related to your advocacy, but your pose makes me believe this could be a mental health ad. Granted the straw sculpture with the rose can be seen as symbolic, I thought this was a solid shot.

Rianne - This is stunning! Your pose helps create this feeling that you’ll be engulfed by this mountain of clothes. You aren’t the focal point of this shot, but I actually think it works in this case. Having the pile of clothes contain multiple colors keeps me engaged and intrigued about your cause.

Liu - The photo by itself is beautiful. The background’s color gradient is stunning and your hair mixes so well with it. Your facial expression captures a longing to be set free. However, I think this is a bit of a stretch for an Ocean Wildlife theme. I’m not sure which animal you are supposed to be portraying and the ladder seems present just to be there. From an artistic approach, I see how you were going for the trapped animal look, but in my opinion this is an overall stretch.

Kim W - This is a big stretch for me. I understand the route your were going with, but this requires a lot of belief to make this work. You’ve created this world for us, but your pose isn’t making you stand out or adding another element to this photo.

Du - You did a good job turning your passion into a photo. Your explanation gives light to some of your choices and adds insight that I missed the first time, such as the reasons behind your pose. The unnatural background colors work for me since it creates this dystopian like view of the consequences to not taking your message seriously.
341 days 21 hours ago
spinfur
Doja - I think your explanation is within the right mindset however I think we’re now coming into the day and age where dominant women are put in the spotlight, but I do agree with the double standard of sexual natures regarding men and women. I think your photo really shines a light on the dominatrix community and how you’re not ashamed of being sexual in nature, and also how women shouldn’t be ashamed of showing their desires whether they want to be sexual or not. My only complaint, and it’s a big complaint, is there is WAY too much wording in this photo that distracts me. Try to find this photo but have the text removed because it can get a tad distraction but overall this was a good photo.

Anja - Anja this is such a simple photo, but it’s simple in a good way, it’s so effective and I could instantly see what your purpose, what you are advocating for, I also love how the lighting makes the shot even more impactful because the sun is just off to the side making your facial expression just glimmer. This shot is probably one of my favorites from you as it is such a simple but effective photo which really is starting to become your brand.

Simon - I’m really unsure with your photo, like Anja your photo is really simple, but I think this photo needs more. I really wanted to see more elements that layer onto each other, perhaps a pan out to see the full view of the ocean with you in the center, or perhaps you looking at the camera fully so I could see your face, I’m not sure. Something about this just needs something more to push it over the edge but I’m not sure what. I also dislike the angle where you’re standing as well and wished you were in the center.

V - I’m very conflicted… I don’t know how to feel about this because it makes me super uncomfortable but I think that was your purpose. I do agree with what you’re standing up for and I do agree people need to share their story, and on one hand I can see this as a person sharing their story, but on the other hand… I can’t help but think this is… going too far? To basically say “I’m representing someone that was assaulted”... That’s a very traumatic thing for someone to go through and I’m really conflicted whether it goes too far or not. I do appreciate the minor detail of you being on the phone calling for help but still… I can’t help but feel this may have been pushed over the boundary of things we should model… It’s a good photo and the realness of the situation is there but still. I really don’t know but I do appreciate the risk.

Jackson - Congrats on your challenge win. I want to commend you because when I saw that challenge my jaw dropped, though as for your photos in this challenge, I really appreciate you picking two policies to advocate for with your advantage. I think for me personally I really enjoy Photo #2 more, especially how the kitten is on your head and it looks like you were rescuing the cat from the filth and sludge because it was homeless. Though when I zoom in onto the cat something seems really off like it was photoshopped in or something cause it doesn’t seem rendered correctly compared to you and your environment. As for the second photo I’m unsure how I could see this connection to mental health, I mean can see lack of motivation and laziness which is definitely associated with mental state, but I’m not sure about the connection to the straw doll that might have been a reach. Overall the second photo is the best one for me.

Rianne - When I was reading your description I was expecting you to wear some old ragged clothes and serve it like you do as a model, but upon opening your photo I can’t help but be a little let down. All the used clothes and stuff seems to be piled in the background but all the more fresh and lovely colorful fabrics you are lying down on. I do agree we shouldn’t waste clothes and donate it to children’s shelters or the homeless or something that can help keep these clothes alive, and just upcycle the fabric into bits and pieces. I’m not sure if this is the perfect photo for this though, another critique is that you blend in a little bit too much to this clothes pile so it’s sorta hard to see you.

Liu - The photo is absolutely stunning, and I think this is another case of right photo wrong challenge (or at least wrong tribute imo) one thing I do get is fish being caught in a net and whisked away to be victims of cruelty or even killed to be put in a restaurant, but the background and ladder don’t really give me sealife vibes. I think this photo is really stunning though and you did a good job at the photoshoot, but I think what kills it is what you attached to this photo too, it’s hard to see sea life in this photo.

Woobin - Overall the shot quality isn’t the greatest, and I agree your posing and facial expression isn’t the greatest, but I do think the background and dead tree really add to the shot. Like I don’t think it’s a stretch to say mental health can be related to a dark foggy woods where you are lost and you can’t get out. However the way you explained it I think was a stretch, I think you overcomplicated your explanation trying to put out every element as a way to explain your point, and I think you could have easily gotten away with “the mind is a foggy mess and I’m on top of this tree trying to find a way out,” because a lot of mental turmoil can start with being lost or forgotten. Overall I think you are slowly improving just be careful with OVER explaining things.

Juan - I can’t help but think about your Killer Croc photoshoot and yes I understand it’s probably a part of the same shoot. As for climate change I really do love your description of how it’s a real problem and no one does anything about it, but as for your photo I’m not sure if I see the chaoticness that you were describing. I do appreciate you describing every element of the photo and making us see your vision, but as for the photo, a description can only go as far as the photo can carry and I just see only slim connections to the climate change you are advocating for. It’s a good photo, don't get me wrong, but I want to see a bit more chaos for how chaotic climate change can affect this world.
341 days 20 hours ago
Jerard
COMMENTS:

Doja (Advocate for Sexual Liberation) - What a way to start this photoshoot. Including some parts of the lyrics in your song was smart and shows where you stand. You are serving looks, I must also add. The way you stand and hold that commanding pose really gives you power. The minor issue I had would be the texts being all over, but that's just me being nitpicky.

Anja (Advocate for Preservation of Vegetation on the Beach) - Also a very important cause that needs to be focused on. Anja, when I first saw your photo, I felt calm. It really had something to do with the beach, the vegetation, the way you were posing - it all came together very interesting.

Simon (Advocate for the Ecology of the Environment) - Well if it isn't something to really be proud of. Simon, I felt like for this photoshoot you really did put an effort on really explaining things, on where you stand. It may not have been as impactful as your photo, but it was enough to be convincing - the calmness to it and how passionate you look just translated.

V (Advocate for Victims and Survivors of Sexual Assault) - A very risky move here, V. I would say I have to agree with Judge Reece's first statement. Now, onto your photo itself, those eyes are telling a whole lot of story, the hardships, and struggles. I would say your photo was very different from your previous ones as well and shows your versatility.
341 days 20 hours ago
Jerard
Jackson (Advocate for Mental Health and for Homeless Animals) - Congratulations Jackson first of all. Now just by seeing both shots, I must say you are totally a creative one. Your first shot, I must say not very "in your face" but the more you dwell on it and how you connect your explanation, the more you'd understand. For your second shot, which I must say is the one that I liked more, you explained it and give details to even the littlest things, plus the monochromatic palette was just great.

Rianne Van Rompaey (Advocate for the Recycling of Clothing) - Well this is something different, certainly in a good way. I like this Rianne. You weren't the center of attention in this shot which would kinda be negative in a whole different shoot but you were showcasing some big pile of clothing and I believe you stood your own there.

Liu (Advocate for Ocean Wildlife) - I usually see the photo first before the description, and I must say this is visually stunning, the colors really are popping, striking, and very pleasant to the eyes. Now for the overall, I would agree with my co-judges here, while you did go your way on explaining this, it just didn't translate to us as much as you would have liked. But then again I must say, this was a stunning shot.

Woobin (Advocate for Mental Health Awareness) - I am actually 50/50 on this shot, Woobin. The good thing is you really connected down to the bit of everything in your photo. It felt like everything made sense here, how they were placed and how they were there in the first place. The bad thing though is just like what Judge Reece said, you weren't doing enough.

Juan (Advocate for Climate Change) - What a well-put statement, first of all. Your shot is very powerful, which I am not surprised about since I've seen you do it. Taking all the comments before me, I did agree with all the judges here, both the good and the bad. While this was as visually stunning, I just wasn't seeing this as much connection as you'd wanted.
341 days 20 hours ago
Jerard
Panel will be in a few.
341 days 20 hours ago
Jerard
If you are here already, do not hesitate to join in.

open group

NEXT TOP MODEL 20: Fans vs Favorites

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!