This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Rick's favourite TSC songs of 2017 (#100-#41)

Topic » Rick's favourite TSC songs of..

2324 days 10 hours ago
ricktworick1
As I have now learned how to actually make blog posts for my TSC countdowns, my top 40 favourite TSC 2017 entries will be under the same website where I posted the worst of list. But what about the other 60 entries that I liked but did not quite make the mark?

Well, here we go.

Overall, 2017 was a slight decrease in quality for Tengaged Song Contest as the number of songs I shortlisted went down from over 150 to just 125. However, there were still some absolute gems that I want to highlight.

Some notes:
- Eurovision entries are allowed to appear on this list
- Decade themes are ineligible for inclusion on this rank, throwback and cover TSC entries are also not allowed.
- Unlike Fritzyyyyy, I allowed to put my own songs in the rankings.
- Contrary to some weird belief, I don't believe that my music taste is better or anything like that.
- There won't be a honorable entries list, because I feel like having 100 songs is already WAY too much for my time.
- YET AGAIN, this is based on my personal opinion. Please do not take any offense from what I think of as they are strictly my thoughts BLAH BLAH BLAH NOBODY EVER READS THAT PART ANYWAY.
2324 days 10 hours ago
ricktworick1
100. Hcue - Don't Say No More (feat. Kida) - TSC278, #Insanity, 4th, 87 pts

Tropical house was still on fire in 2017, although this trend is now kind of dying down. This is probably one of the more generic examples of that kind of music, but it is still executed well enough to appear on this list.

99. KREAM - Taped Up Heart (feat. Clara Mae) - TSC270, #ricktworick1, 4th, 100 pts

Expect this sort of sound a lot in this top 100, although Kream's attempt at it is slightly better as he probably asked Clara to tone down with her vocal show-off.

98. Couer De Pirate - Crier Tout Bas - TSC285, #Temeky, 3rd, 96 pts

If Quebec ever ends up becoming a completely independent area from Canada, I hope that this song becomes their anthem as it's probably the best thing musicians from the region have ever done. Could have done without 40 seconds or so, though.

97. Jane Zhang - Dust My Shoulders Off - TSC267, #onemanarmy, 13th, 52 pts

One of the trendy things to do in TSC these days is for the entry to have some really good verses only to have a piss-weak chorus, and Jane Zhang embraces that theme. Pity, because the whole package without the chorus would have made it all the way to the top 40, but enjoy the verses nevertheless!
2324 days 5 hours ago
ricktworick1
96. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike vs Diplo - Hey Baby (feat. Deb's Daughter) - TSC273, #TolisKalkas, 3rd, 87 pts

You know it is this sound again, so if you do not like tropical house at all, then I am just warning you - a lot of the songs are not going to satisfy you. Meanwhile, this makes everyone else shake their ass.

95. Hurts - Ready To Go - TSC289, #ricktworick1, 4th, 80 pts

This sounds pretty damn unique despite the fact that it is obviously so pop. Maybe that genre can also be different, who would have known?!

94. BANKS - Trainwreck - TSC281, #Insanity, 5th, 69 pts

Accurate title to describe the production behind this entry, but it strangely works, mostly because BANKS properly carries the tune.

93. Ailee - Don't Touch Me - TSC268, #CharlieBibi, 3rd, 117 pts

Spoiler: Expect some k-pop music on this list. This is probably the least stereotypical song from that industry as the style is clearly borrowed from Beyonce's early solo releases. Additionally, Ailee definitely has the vocal to be known as Korean Beyonce, so what's not to like.
2324 days 2 hours ago
Insanity
Wow BANKS didn’t deserve to get this shaded
2324 days ago
Fritzyyyyy
I like-love MOST of these!
2323 days 6 hours ago
ricktworick1
92. Billie - Love Kills Slowly - TSC295, #catch_a_falling_star, 3rd, 112 pts

Nowhere close to "Give Me The Knife" but still good enough to scrape onto this list. Great use of synth lifts up an otherwise mediocre song.

91. HelloVenus - I'm Ill - TSC268, #Striky, 12th, 54 pts

This is basically T-ara's TSC-winning Sugar Free on budget. Which means this is still a banger.

90. Tijana Bogicevic - In Too Deep - TSC272, #rodrigueseve, 12th, 59 pts

While the quality of songs depreciated this year, ESC entries are going to appear quite frequently here as the good entries have been REALLY GOOD. This is a pretty generic pop tune with some Sigma-lite influences and we know I am a huge fan of Sigma. Plus, the male dancer in the MV is hot.

89. Lia Marie Johnson - DNA - TSC286, #andalarew_2231, 8th, 72 pts

Who knew that a YouTuber can put out a ballad that has some sort of quality. The chorus here is pretty great and had it not been for sorta dull verses, the song would have fared better here.
2323 days 6 hours ago
Catch_a_falling_star
I love Billie, every one of her songs is a banger. :O
I think I prefer this one to 'Give me the knife' :O :D
2322 days 19 hours ago
Alexeh23
Billie <3 This one is probably my favourite of hers.
2322 days 19 hours ago
Fritzyyyyy
BILLIE WAS PUSHED.
2322 days 15 hours ago
ricktworick1
88. Lana Del Rey - Love - TSC274, #adeleadele, 18th, 42 pts

Some eyebrows are going to be raised over this choice, but this is Lana's best song since her Born To Die days. Pity the rest of Lust For Life album is typical dreary music that Lana has been doing since Ultraviolence days.

87. Bryce Fox - Horns - TSC265, #bibbles, 4th, 80 pts

Great use of rock music influences makes this song one of the best entries Bibbles has ever given to us.

86. Margaret - What You Do - TSC275, #Patrick319, 4th, 90 pts

This style of dance-pop has been recycled so frequently now, yet the execution in Margaret's take on it is still quality. Well, except for the robotic chorus, which knocks the song down a bit.

85. K.A.R.D. - Don't Recall - TSC278, #splozojames50, 11th, 59 pts

Rare instance of a k-pop song sounding better in English, so I linked you that version instead of the one that was sent into the contest. This is basically tropical house with more kick to it.
2321 days 23 hours ago
Insanity
Damn I really thought KARD would be higher than this
2321 days 14 hours ago
ricktworick1
84. Martin Solveig - Places (feat. Ina Wroldsen) - TSC267, #Patrick319, 12th, 53 pts

One of my closest friends would listen to this song all the time after a really bad break-up, and lyrically I can see why. The song is pretty standard for its genre, but it has a really nice restraint on production, especially during the chorus.

83. Dagny - Wearing Nothing - TSC282, #Insanity17, 13th, 50 pts

Chorus leaves a lot to be desired, but the overall package is pretty damn decent.

82. Chloe Howl - Magnetic - TSC287, #andalarew_2231, 20th, 36 pts

After a long hiatus due to major conflicts with her management (look up Chloe Howl - Dark Side of Music Industry), Chloe is back and this dreamy pop song is definitely one of her best releases yet.

81. Kato & Sigala - Show You Love (feat. Hailee Steinfeld) - TSC266, #Insanity, 7th, 66 pts

The girl who shot to fame by singing about masturbation decides to give her vocals on a song about showing people love. How appropriate.
2321 days 6 hours ago
bibbles
oh my god, i made the list!! what a great end to my 2017!
2321 days 4 hours ago
ricktworick1
80. Skip Marley - Lions - TSC273, #catch_a_falling_star, 1st, 115 pts

I guess at least Pepsi did one thing right by promoting this good reggae-pop song. All it needs is more of...an actual chorus.

79. Jaclyn Victor - Remedy - TSC266, #LoveMeLoveMe, 2nd, 88 pts

Released under the same record label as DSV's turd-of-a-song that appeared on my worst-of list, and this was created 3 years before DSV touched the microphone. Slightly chaotic production prevents this song from going higher, but it's still a decent effort.

78. Olivia O'Brien - Empty - TSC273, #adeleadele, 16th, 51 pts

The lyrical content pretty much describes how most Tengagers cope with life.

77. I Am Karate - Bitter - TSC269, #catch_a_falling_star, 13th, 42 pts

Overuse of autotune during the buildup to chorus stands out so much and it can be debated whether that drags the overall quality down or pulls it up. What actually needs improving is the actual chorus, as it follows the trend of verses being better than the actual climax. Still enjoyable, though.
2321 days 3 hours ago
adeleadele
Omg 2 appearances im shook :0

thank u for #88 and #78 i luv them both!!
2320 days 23 hours ago
Insanity
omg I just realized Stay isn’t gonna be on here

#BlackpinkWasPushed

open group

Tengaged Song Contest (Current)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!