This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

#NTM11 - Challenge & Photoshoot (8)

Topic » #NTM11 - Challenge &..

2118 days 15 hours ago
Jerard
Challenge #8

"The Māori"

Ofcourse, you may have guessed that this week is like a New Zealand week, photoshoots related with the country. So it's just good to begin with with the heart of the country, the people of Māori. So, who are they?

The Māori are the indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand. Māori originated with settlers from eastern Polynesia, who arrived in New Zealand in several waves of canoe voyages some time between 1250 and 1300.[8][9] Over several centuries in isolation, the Polynesian settlers developed a unique culture, with their own language, a rich mythology, and distinctive crafts and performing arts. Early Māori formed tribal groups based on eastern Polynesian social customs and organisation. Horticulture flourished using plants they introduced; later, a prominent warrior culture emerged.

Now, here's what you are going to do. I want you to do some little research about the people of Māori, study their lifestyle, culture and way of living. After that you are to put it in your photo, now I don't require you to go with the ACTUAL representation but ofcourse an explanation should go directly support the photo and the culture.

You are to give life to the indigenous people of New Zealand. Again, explanation is highly necessary. 24 hours to do the challenge. Thank you and Goodluck! x
2118 days 15 hours ago
Jerard
NOTE: Reminder, your score would be defaulted 5 points if you haven't picked your beds yet and proceeded quickly here in the shoot. I don't want you doing the photoshoot with bags and all, so go put your baggage in your beautiful new house.

https://tengaged.com/group/5820-next-top-model-11-clash-ascendancy/forum/topic/21869001
2117 days 19 hours ago
carlyjordan14
“The concept of whānau (family) is central to Māori social structure. Whānau refers to family and extended family.” Family is often defined as being bound by blood. In my photo I wanted to express this sentiment with the red lighting. I told my head upwards in recognition of my ancestors and close my eyes to embrace the wealth of knowledge.

https://imgur.com/a/pPUXu0Y
2117 days 19 hours ago
VictoriaW
Victoria: *The Maori Tribe*

The Maori are indigenous people of New Zealand. They are Polynesian and make up 15 percent of the country's population. Te Reo Maori is their native language which is related to Tahitian and Hawaiian. It is believed that the Maori migrated in canoes to New Zealand in Polynesia around the 9th century to 13th century AD. This event was known as the "Great Fleet". The Maori formed their own unique culture, language and traditions. They have a rich culture, steeped in tradition and legends. Legends were passed down through the generations by story telling - stories that tell of the creation of the islands of New Zealand and much more.
The Maori hunted a variety of birds and fish they found around New Zealand, and favoured the warmer climates of the Island. Wars did break out with the arrival of the European settlers. In 1840, the Treaty of Waitangi was written and signed by several Maori Chiefs which gave the British monarchy sovereignty over parts of New Zealand. Confusion has long remained over what the treaty actually said and meant, as the Maori version translates differently to the English version. The Maori believed they retained the rights to their land. The Maori had a distinctive and interesting culture. They stood their ground for their land. They realized  their whole land was like a canvas and they were the paint. They could create something new, and become something new. It was there world apart from everyone else, in every way.They were spiritful and open minded people.
I tried to incorporate everything  into my photo.

http://hq-pictures.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_VJ2457_282129.jpg
2117 days 18 hours ago
Zankie16
Garrett Neff

The Maori are indigenous people of New Zealand and when the missionaries came to their land they mad the Maori change their ways of living, lifestyle, and culture. In this photo you have Garrett taking off one layer of cloths and having another one underneath. Just like what the Maori had to do they striped what they know and had to learn an entirely new life of living and act like they are used to it that way of living

http://ola.ohlalamag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/6a00e54fb7301c883401543470123b970c.jpg
2117 days 18 hours ago
SeongWoo
Hao | https://prnt.sc/k4iv76

Searching about the Maoris, I could observe a rather beautiful fact: The geometry they use through painting and the use of piercings and tribal accessories.

The style of these figures and drawings have become quite popular all over the world, and this is what I want to bring with my photo of this week, the beauty of geometry and the exotic.
2117 days 18 hours ago
Brandonh1
Miles ///

https://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-content/uploads/ama/2011/2/milesmcmillan-exclusive12.jpg

Traditionally, Māori made their clothes and adornments from native  bird and animal skins. There was a great variety of garments, including many kinds of cloaks. In the Māori Tribe wearing varies skins/ furs showed your social status and wealth. Necklaces and pendants were made from stone and bone. Hei tiki are neck pendants carved into a human-like form. Some pendants were perfumed with aromatic gums or oils.The most special cloaks were worn only by chiefs. These included cloaks made of kurī skin and hair, full-feathered cloaks and kaitaka, which are made of finely woven flax fibre.
2117 days 16 hours ago
DrG2
The Maori culture is rich in tradition and legend, and forms an integral part of New Zealand society. One of a form of art, a language, and an evolving cultural expression is dance and Maori isn’t the exception.

Māori communities quickly adopted the music and dance styles of settlers. A visitor to Ōhinemutu, Rotorua, in 1876 noted that dances were held almost every night. He recalled a moonlit dance in front of a meeting house where the women danced very well. Dance for the Maori people is a very important part of their culture. Kapa haka (Maori performance art), incorporates singing, dancing and also facial expressions.

Now in my photoshoot I wanna show the fun of dancing although I am not very good at it and also wanna show facial expression as what Maori dancers usually deliver as well

https://prnt.sc/k4jaeq
2117 days 16 hours ago
nikw98
The Māori Express themselves through dance. This includes, but is not limited to haka. Haka is a traditional posture dance that is still popular in Māori culture today. It was originally used during war to proclaiming their strength and prowess in order to intimidate the opposition.  They used the body as a whole to express courage, annoyance, joy or other feelings relevant to the purpose of the occasion.

I wanted to use my whole body to show this in my photo. I also wanted to show the feel of the Māori with this photo.

http://imgur.com/gallery/UECPNXt
2116 days 22 hours ago
SeongWoo
Where is Izi?
2116 days 16 hours ago
haycsclair
xxxCLOSEDxxx
2116 days 13 hours ago
Jerard
Sorry, was exhausted with the exams. Now I'm good, will now post the results.
2116 days 13 hours ago
Jerard
COMMENTS:

Shawn - I am disappointed with the shot really. There's just so many wrong with this shot, the red filter all over was badly done, then your face which I can't see the 80% of it, is no-no. One thing I was glad is your explanation, it was short but you took it differently, which again sadly didn't do as good as your shot.

Victoria - You incorporated with some indigenous clothings which was good. But other than that, I think you did brought us the good in Māori's culture and way of thinking. This shot looks like a fashion model Māori. Maybe if you did just look other than where you are looking at the shoot, it would've been better.

Garrett - What you did there was smart, again I said before the shoot, you don't need to be the ACTUAL and ON-POINT representation, just a good explanation and it would helped a lot. And this shot was actually a different approach, which I kinda liked. Your explanation of taking off a layer is good, which supported the shot.
2116 days 13 hours ago
Jerard
Hao - Well you definitely look very exotic. I love the big fabrics right there, it speaks very high fashion. I don't really know about your face though, but it did support what you explained, face paints, piercings and all. But yeah, I am 50-50 about your shot this week, I like it but at the same time I don't (does that help? haha).

Miles - You focused really well with how they appear as a person. This shot actually reminds me of one of their dance, haka mainly because of what you wore there. I think this week would be great for you. I don't have any problems with the posing and all, so I think you did a good job this week.

Dinara - It correlated with my explanation of Miles' shot the hake part (dance). This shot was actually awkwardly really good. Your facial explanation is once again impressive and on point, the pose could've been pulled off a lot lot better. The challenge was hard, no doubt. But I think you deliver what you can.

Lenox - Last but not the least, you Lenox. The shot was good, reminded me of how they appear back then and you associated it with modelling which was smart. You actually continues to get better starting when you gave your first best perfomance, and I see you claiming another one very soon.
2116 days 13 hours ago
Jerard
The challenge was really hard, I know. But I was glad you did what you have to do.
2116 days 13 hours ago
Jerard
The winner of this challenge gets to post TWO PHOTOS for the next photoshoot, which I can assure is another hard one. So this win would be a great win, so I do hope you consider it (for the challenge winner)...

open group

NEXT TOP MODEL 20: Fans vs Favorites

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!