This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Episode 2: colors of the season! (elimination!)

Topic » Episode 2: colors of the..

4184 days 6 hours ago
Each chef is randomly given a season and must cook a meal that is representative of that season.

Nicki as you are the quickfire winner you dont have to compete but if you want to make the group more active or just feel like how you would have done then you may post a dish! but you are immune this week!

you guys will pull knives!
ready?

all: yes!

nicki if you want to compete and possibly win everything this week, lol! then will you have the season 6 knife!

Jman- you pulled the season 5 knife!
Kool- you pulled the season 4 knife
Zed- You pulled the season 3 knife! (this season has my fave all time chef in it)
Tuninho- you pulled the season 2 knife!
real- You Pulled the season 1 knife!

kool your disdavantage is.....you will have 3 hours less than everyone else in this challenge!

you have 24 hours! well kool has 21! gl chefs! your time starts now!
4184 days 6 hours ago
legend_of_link
So season 4 of the Top Chef took place in Chicago. So I was thinking was best shows of Chicago.

So I made you a real Chicago deep dish pizza.

Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza

Ingredients

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza Dough, recipe follows
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
    1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 (28-ounce) can plum tomatoes, coarsely crushed
    1 tablespoon dry red wine
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
    8 ounces pepperoni, thinly sliced
    8 ounces mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced
    1 green bell pepper, cored and cut into thin rings
    1 yellow onion, cut into thin rings
    1 cup thinly sliced black olives
    1 pound crumbled hot Italian sausage
    1 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

While the dough is rising, make the tomato sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the herbs, seeds, salt, and black and red peppers, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, wine and sugar, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely before using.

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.

Oil 2 seasoned 12-inch round deep-dish pizza pans with the extra-virgin olive oil. Press 1 piece of dough into each pan, pressing to the edge and stretching about 1 1/2 inches up the sides. Let rest for 5 minutes.

Layer the mozzarella cheese all over the bottom of the pies. Top each with half of the pepperoni, mushrooms, bell pepper rings, onions, black olives and sausage. Ladle the sauce evenly over each pizza and top with Parmesan.

Bake until the top is golden and the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, slice and serve hot.

Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza Dough:

11/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
    1 (1/4-ounce) packages active dry yeast
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup semolina flour
    1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 teaspoons to grease bowl
    1 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the semolina, 1/2 cup of the oil, and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil.

Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Divide into 2 equal portions and use as directed.
4184 days 6 hours ago
Zed55
Season 3 started In Miami so this week is colors so I think Orange but ended in Aspen so I think snow/cold

Gingery Sweet Potato Soup with an Orange Splash Cocktail
1 quart water
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 stalk of fresh lemongrass, thinly sliced crosswise
One 1/2-pound sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek or other Asian hot sauce
Salt
1/2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
Lime wedge, for serving

In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil with the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and sweet potato. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes until the potato is tender.
Transfer the sweet potato to a blender. Strain the broth; add 1 cup to the blender and reserve the rest for another use. Puree the sweet potato soup.
Return the soup to the saucepan. Stir in the sambal oelek, season with salt and simmer until heated through. Pour the soup into a bowl, top with the cilantro and serve with the lime wedge.

Orange Splash Cocktail

2  ounce(s) Absolut Citron vodka
1  ounce(s) Cointreau or triple sec
1 splash(es) fresh lime juice
1 splash(es) orange juice
Sugar, for garnish
Orange slice, for garnish
Directions

Pour all ingredients over ice in a shaker or large glass and shake vigorously. Rim a glass with sugar and serve on the rocks. Garnish with an orange slice.
4184 days 6 hours ago
NickiMinaj
I don't think I will be competing, as I am very busy today! Sorry, and hope all the contestants do well! xx
4184 days 6 hours ago
its ok nicki :) your immune this week so you cant be in bottom this week regardless if you compete or not :)
4183 days 17 hours ago
jman96
This is a Filet Mignon with bell Pepper Haystack and fresh Guacamole serfed with corn chips

Ingredents:

4 small avocados, peeled and mashed
3 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
1 large shallot, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1/2 lemon, juiced

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup corn oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 (4 ounce) package button mushrooms, sliced thin
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons water

3 tablespoons corn oil
3 large shallots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
3 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

2 tablespoons olive oil
4 (6 ounce) beef tenderloin fillets, room temperature

1 (16 ounce) package corn chips

Directions:

1.  Stir the avocado, roma tomatoes, minced shallot, jalapeno pepper, and lemon juice in a bowl. Chill in refrigerator to allow flavors to meld.
2. Place the chicken stock in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; simmer the stock until reduced to about 1/2 cup.

3. Heat 1/4 cup corn oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper in the hot oil until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir the mushrooms into the peppers; season with the coriander seeds, sea salt, and black pepper. Add the reduced chicken stock and the water; cook and stir until the moisture has been absorbed, another 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a plate lined with paper towels to allow the grease to drain.

4. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir the sliced shallots in the hot oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the crushed garlic and cook another 3 minutes. Pour 3 1/2 cups water over the mixture and bring to a boil; cook at a boil until the liquid reduces to 1 cup. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and return the strained liquid to the saucepan, keeping it over medium heat. Add the white wine vinegar and return to a boil; continue cooking at a boil until the liquid reduced to about 1/4 cup. Quickly whisk in the chilled butter until just melted, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and keep warm while you prepare the steaks.

5. Place a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and allow get hot. Heat the oil in the skillet. Cook the steaks in the hot oil until they start to firm, and are reddish-pink and juicy in the center, about 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Cover the meat with two layers of aluminum foil and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes.

6. Place a mound of the bell pepper mixture into the center of each serving plate. Slice the rested steaks in half and place atop each mound. Spoon a few spoonfuls of the butter mixture onto the plate to surround the stack. Serve with the chilled guacamole and corn chips.

Enjoy as this is a dish to represent New York as I researched.
4183 days 17 hours ago
jman96
*Served
4183 days 12 hours ago
Tuninho
Season 2 took place in LA but I though I would go in a diferent direction so I decided to do a Hawaiian dish becouse the finale of that season was in Hawaii.

Honey Teriyaki Chicken with Ripe Pineapple Spears and Black and White Rice Balls

Ingredients
2 cups water
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt, eyeball it
1 rounded cup white rice
2 tablespoons black sesame seeds, toasted white sesame seeds may be substituted
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Vegetable oil, for drizzling
Salt and pepper
1 cup chicken broth or water
1-inch ginger root, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 ripe pineapple

Directions
Preheat a grill pan or large griddle over medium high heat.

Bring water to a boil in a small covered pot. Add butter, salt and rice to the pot. Return the water to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and replace cover. Simmer 18 minutes and remove rice from heat. Take the lid off the pot to cool rice a bit. Scoop rice into balls with an ice cream scoop and your hands. Dampen hands with water to work with rice if it is very sticky. Set rice balls on a plate and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.

While your rice is cooking, lightly coat chicken with oil, salt and pepper. Place chicken on hot grill and cook 6 minutes on the first side.

While chicken is cooking, bring chicken broth and ginger to a boil. Stir in honey. When honey has dissolved into broth, add teriyaki sauce and sesame oil and reduce heat to simmer.

Turn chicken and coat liberally with honey teriyaki sauce using a basting brush. Cook chicken 4 minutes, turn again and baste liberally again with sauce, then cook 2 minutes longer. Remove chicken to a plate. Garnish chicken with sliced scallions.

While chicken cooks on the second side, peel and cut a ripe pineapple into 8 spears. Cut off top and bottom of pineapple. Set pineapple upright and trim away skin in strips from top to bottom. Halve pineapple lengthwise and quarter each 1/2, lengthwise. The core is edible, but may be trimmed if you wish. Pineapple can be very acidic. Spears set in cold water for just 1 minute will keep the fruit from stinging your lips when it is eaten. Serve with chicken and rice balls
4183 days 8 hours ago
Realchance
Meat:
1 piece Red Snapper

Sauce:
1 butternut squash
1 cup chicken broth
2 piece garlic
2 shallots
2 oz. butter

Vegetables:
3 oz. brussel sprout leaves (about 1 cup)
1 oz. rock Shrimp
1 oz. chanterelles
1 teaspoon chives
1 teaspoon parsley

Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste.

Directions:

Skin and dice butternut squash for 15 minutes at 375°.

Sweat garlic and shallots in 1 tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat while butternut squash is roasting. When squash is done, add squash meat. Cover with chicken stock and simmer 10 minutes. Blend and add butter.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Peel brussel sprout leaves (from fresh brussel sprouts) from bulbs. Sweat leaves in 1 tablespoon butter over medium low heat until golden brown, add shrimp and chanterelles. Cook 2 minutes. Add parsley and chives.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Season snapper with salt and pepper.  Steam snapper for 5 minutes.
4183 days 8 hours ago
Realchance
TEANNA- STEAMED RED SNAPPER WITH CHANTERELLES AND ROCK SHRIMP OVER A BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE
4182 days 16 hours ago
turney and topher have MAILED ME their scores!

from turney:
legend_of_link (kool)- Chicago deep dish pizza!

2. You made another safe dish I am honestly so disappointed right now. I dont think you understand that this is Top Chef: ALL STARS. If I wanted a Deep Dish Pizza, I would go to my local pizzeria.

Zed55- Gingery Sweet Potato Soup with an Orange Splash Cocktail

9. WOW. Just WOW. You knocked this out of the park. This is a HUGE turn around for you, and I am VERY impressed right now. Please keep this up. My only knock on the dish is the alcohol. You dont need to make us cocktails, especially when the soup can stand alone.

Jman96- Filet Mignon with bell Pepper Haystack and fresh Guacamole serfed with corn chips

8. This is a good dish! Im not WOWed by it, but the flavors are great you are trying to step out the box.

Tuninho- Honey Teriyaki Chicken with Ripe Pineapple Spears and Black and White Rice Balls

6. Okay here's the thing, the dish title sounds AMAZING but after reading the recipe, you can see its nothing unique. You made white rice then sprinkled black sesame seeds, you cut up pineapple, and you added honey to your teriyaki sauce. Dont think that a fancy title means that the dish is out of the box, because this dish was nothing special.

Realchance- STEAMED RED SNAPPER WITH CHANTERELLES AND ROCK SHRIMP OVER A BUTTERNUT SQUASH SAUCE

4.5. I dont see how this dish is representative of Season 1. Season 1 of Top Chef was filmed in San Francisco. If you explained how this dish was related to Season 1, then great, I will gladly raise this score, but Im confused. My hope is that you didnt just get a dish that a chef from Season 1 served and made that your representation. One dish cooked during the season does NOT mean it represents the whole season. Other than that, the dish was good, but since you didnt follow challenge rules, I cant give it a high score.
4182 days 16 hours ago
from topher:

legend_of_link (kool)- Chicago deep dish pizza! - since he didnt he fill this column i guess he means you get a 1 from him?

I score this a 6.

Jman96- Filet Mignon with bell Pepper Haystack and fresh Guacamole serfed with corn chips
I score this a 6.

Tuninho- Honey Teriyaki Chicken with Ripe Pineapple Spears and Black and White Rice Balls
I score this an 8 - best dish of the challenge surprisingly.

Realchance- STEAMED RED SNAPPER WITH CHANTERELLES AND ROCK SHRIMP OVER A BUTTERNUT SQUASH
I score this a 7.
4182 days 16 hours ago
Realchance
It was my representation because since season one was filmed in san fransisco O interpret san francisco as being a place that does a lot with sea food
4182 days 16 hours ago
legend_of_link (kool)- Chicago deep dish pizza!

3! this was nothing special and very safe! this is not the koolmanmadden that i know! the old kool was creative and showed me he was creative! this to me is NOT creative!

10! PERFECT! everything about this was PERFECT! this to me was incredible! you sir, have the best dish i've ever had so far in this competition! congrats dude!

9! i'm seriously wowed with you! you've done amazing throught the competition! i wont be shocked if your in f5!

8! improving! this is a great dish overall! only knocking down 2 points because of some  creative issues but stil a tasty treat!

realchance- STEAMED RED SNAPPER WITH CHANTERELLES AND ROCK SHRIMP OVER A BUTTERNUT SQUASH
8! i'm going to disagree with turney on this one!  i will give you credit for having my favorite fish and vegatable in it! i love red snapper and squash! lol! a tasty treat overall!
i'm glad you explained it last minute before i posted my scores! you did overall a very good job!
4182 days 16 hours ago
Tuninho
I just wanna say, the tittle wasnt what made me choose the dish but the background of it. Its hawaiin dish and its very earthy. And I dont think you read all the recipe becouse it has alot of work on it and from all the other recipes is one of the most complex ones. But thanks for all the critics :D
4182 days 15 hours ago
will jman, zed and tuninho step forward?

you 3 had the highest scores this challenge!

the winner of the challenge is...
Zed55! congrats! with a score of 25/30 you are the winner of this challenge!

Jman you take second with 23/30!

tuninho you take 3rd! with a 22/30!

real you take 4th with a 19.5/30

nicki, you had immunity so didnt have to compete.

the person eliminated is.....
Kool, please pack your knives and go! i'm sorry :(

open group

49288's top chef all-stars! (day 10)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!