This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

TSC BETA 124: 80s WEEK!!!!!!!!!

Topic » TSC BETA 124: 80s..

775 days 15 hours ago
FromAWindow
14) Donna Summer - “She Works Hard For the Money”

775 days 15 hours ago
FromAWindow
15) Rick Astley - “Never Gonna Give You Up”

775 days 15 hours ago
FromAWindow
ALL FIFTEEN (15) SONGS HAVE BEEN POSTED!!!!!!!

Y'all have until 6PM GMT / 1PM EST / 10AM PST to send me your votes with the show happening 30 minutes later, failure to do so will result in a penalty (I can extend an hour at most)

Goodluck y'all!!!!! :)
775 days 14 hours ago
turkeylover
omg votes so early...

01) Deneice Williams - yasssssss this is real cute…. Idt i’ve heard this before? I know i’ve seent Footloose like a while ago but yeah! Really nice!
02) Paula Abdul - i mean…. Bop!!! But sending rpdr lip sync songs is boring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless it’s two of hearts but i already sent that!!!!!!!!!
03) Toni Basil - like i said with paula abdul, rpdr lip sync songs are boring!!!!!!!!! But it was the Spanish version so I guess I can make an exception… anyways! This is really cute and fun! I did think about sending it but there were like 100 songs I liked more… yeah.
04) Whitney Houston - this is so winning this week… but that’s okay!!!!!!!!! Truly gorg… yeah…
05) The Toy Dolls - LMFAO this is camp! Thanks for making voting easier this week <3
06) The Go-Go’s - I mean…. Iconic!! A total classic…. Yeah… like… I kinda forgot about this smash hit… yasssssssssssssssssssss
07) Yoko Ono - omg???? I’ve never heard this but…. It’s so captivating… so stunning… like…
08) Dolly Parton - YAS! A classic! I still need to watch that 9 to 5 film… it looks like such a slay… but yeah! This is a hit duh
09) Sade - oh this is so smooth… haha get it??? Anyways!!! I like this a lot! Yassssssss
10) Madonna - oh BAWP!! One of her best… I would’ve sent into the groove over this but this is just so gorgeous and so good… yeah <333333333333333 she had the mind of a mastermind when she made this smash hit…
11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford - This is fine? Like it’s good but idk it’s just not giving… it’s a cute 80s filler… yeah…
12) The Cure - yass bibbles! But this is really nice… so cute… feels a bit ahead of its time??? But yeah! A bop! Also really short… which i appreciate.
13) a-ha - personally I prefer josh whitehouse’s cover in the hit film, valley girl (2020) but this is just as good! It’s so good actually…. Even I considered sending it myself! But I didn’t because… ew men. But yeah… this is just a bop!!!
14) Donna Summer - long ass song… but bop!! It’s just really fun! Idk how it will stand against some of these other songs but yeah!
15) Rick Astley - haha we just got rick rolled lol so good!!
775 days 2 hours ago
ianfitz0012
01) Deneice Williams - you know it's a cute song but I never got the hype! I really didn't. It's almost more of a meme song than a song to me, but it's not the closer of this contest so I guess it has this going for it
02) Paula Abdul - really just an excellent choice for a contest like this. I think Paula's music career is so underrated and overshadowed by my generation just remembering her from mixing her meds with alcohol on American Idol. Don't get me wrong, both are iconic, but this song is just THAT good
03) Toni Basil - also an underrated song, I love its composition and how it (to use my constant TSC terms) keeps me guessing, doesn't bore me, and goes somewhere else with it. On the surface it's repetitive but to me it's more than that. Going to be a competitive week but I'll try to remember this when pointing. I just love how this song is so much more than "oh mickey you're so fine" like everyone thinks
04) Whitney Houston - NGL a great but… safe pick. Like I really am bored by this idk and would be more inclined to reward a still stellar but unexpected choice. But this song is so iconic and tells a story, which I love about it. When you hear this at a club or the gay bar it's hard not to bop along to this and put on a PERFORMANCE. This song is perfect for that and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it
05) The Toy Dolls - this poor elephant! I'm dead at this song like just like #3 it really took me on a journey to the most unexpected places. I do need the guitarist to eat a fucking burger or something bc what the fuck… Funny troll entry, now I can say I've heard this song
06) The Go-Go’s - kind of a forgettable send lol can't say I ever like jammed to this… I remember being quite disappointed when glee decided to cover it in the season 3 premiere, hoping for a better entry. I kinda feel the same about that here
07) Yoko Ono - wait this is also a troll entry right? Jw… it is just so… not good… What are these sound effects… Yeah Yoko is not for me
08) Dolly Parton - queen of assuming americans work 40 hours a week when it is so so much more <3 I need an update according to what it's like working on set. Anyways this chorus is just so classic like how can you go wrong with it? Might be one of the most recognizable of all time actually. Dolly did that
09) Sade - never got really into Sade but I'm enjoying this listen. The song feels as the title suggests, I could listen to this anywhere. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is I'm looking for certified timeless bops in this contest and I never got that feel from this song. Maybe after a few more listens I'll love. More songs need saxophones in them!
10) Madonna - cinematic masterpiece!!! The bar I frequented in college always played this each week and I got my life to it… there is something so universal to it even though it's not exactly a "bop" per se, like I will always be in a mood to hear this song. And when I'm feeling a little lower energy this song has the capability of picking me back up. Great send don't listen to critics
11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford - A song I didn't remember hearing and after clicking play, sadly it's sorta clear why. I'm not really feeling anything from this. Maybe it'll become WINE but for now it's… just there. The instrumental is so scattered, maybe that's just 80s but I just can't focus on the song
12) The Cure - the cure is underrated but I hadn't heard this song before. It's a curious choice and I want to hear from the sender why this was picked. I like the keyboards and ethereal element to this song, but other than that it just sorta meanders
13) a-ha - I mean also boring send but I am looking for timeless bangers and this is one. Obviously the music video is god-tier
14) Donna Summer - it's too bad her best stuff is ineligible bc of the '70s. I Feel Love, Bad Girls, Hot Stuff are god tier naturally. This song never really felt like a song to me… Just more of her saying the same line over and over again. I don't hate it, but it's not the earworm it wants to be for me
15) Rick Astley - ted lasso ruined this song like it's not a bad song at all but they were so god awful CRINGE with how they employed it in their story. Wtf is with the frog in Rick Astley's throat though like actually? This song far outlives him imo
774 days 1 hour ago
bibbles
01) Deneice Williams – I defo dances to this at the disco!
02) Paula Abdul – wasn’t a fan of Paula, but this is okay.
03) Toni Basil – always found this song irritating!
04) Whitney Houston – my fav Whitney song, would never miss the dance floor for this one!
05) The Toy Dolls – never liked this one!
06) The Go-Go’s – this was quite good!
07) Yoko Ono – theres a whole huge catalogue of amazing 80s songs and we get this and the elephant one!
08) Dolly Parton – Love Dolly, shes an absolute legend, we must protect her at all costs!
09) Sade – love this one too, always remember this being played later in the evening!
10) Madonna – always a bit hit and miss for me, Madonna, this was okay.
11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford – don’t remember this, that was hysterical!
12) The Cure – love this one.
13) a-ha – who doesn’t like this!!! Brilliant!
14) Donna Summer – this was okay, defo a dance floor one.
15) Rick Astley – you’ve been rick rolled!
773 days 13 hours ago
tbrown_47
Deniece Williams: I do love this beat. I feel like this song doesn't get enough credit. It’s a bop

Paula Abdul: I might get flack for this, but I’ve never loved this song. It’s good and fun to listen to, but just not one of my go-tos from the decade

Toni Basil: Again, not a favorite of mine, but still a fun song

Whitney Houston: I feel like you might have sent this thinking it would be a clear winner, but I’m not so sure it will be tbh. That said, who doesn’t like this song lol. It’s so good. Not my favorite Whitney song, but this is still great

The Toy Dolls: We stan Nellie. They went for it, and I respect it

The Go-Go’s: Throwback to RB2, best music game ever. Do like the beachy vibe from this.

Yoko Ono: That opening bass riff was dirty. Like it was bumping the whole time. Vocals were pretty bad, but this was kind of good overall

Dolly Parton: What a way to make a living indeed. So much going on with this song, but it’s so fun to listen to.

Sade: Sade’s Greatest Hits album was a staple of my childhood. She doesn't miss. Outside of the sentimental value this song has for me, it’s just absolutely stunning. Her voice is fantastic, the band is great, and baby that sax gets me going.

Madonna: I very briefly thought of sending Into the Groove. But I do really enjoy this song, one of my favorites from Madonna. And in the second half when the song picks up, phenomenal.

Letitia Dean & Paul Medford: What is that intro lol. But actually though, it’s pretty good. The beat gets you moving once you get used to it how random it feels

The Cure: The Cure always serves solid instrumentation. And long intros lol. I’ve never been the biggest fan of their music, but they are always nice to listen to

A-ha: This really is quintessential 80s. Him hitting those high notes is super impressive. And we love the synths. Fun song

Donna Summer: Ugh wish this was 70s weeks so we could’ve gotten some great disco jams from the disco queen. But this is a solid bop

Rick Astley: https://media3.giphy.com/media/rbwLuRQWVQ4Io/giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47zpmdps6l2zqh4ks067nruycxj73kwe0e2vt6iuu3&rid=giphy.gif
773 days 12 hours ago
J2999
001. Deniece Williams - “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” : Interesting, it has like that… one brief moment of life for the chorus. It’s pleasant, not standout but yeah decent. Carried by the just pre-chorus and start of the chorus though.
002. Paula Abdul - “Straight Up” : Yes give us that dance solo at the start. Good music for this song though. Liked it.
003. Toni Basil - “Mickey” : Yeahhh this hit as soon as I pressed play what song this was gonna be. But? I’m not mad about that. I’m moving, a bop.
004. Whitney Houston - “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” : Oh I mean. A banger. Quite a serve of a song. 
005. The Toy Dolls - “Nellie The Elephant” : Well the groovy part is very good. Quite good as a whole, have to support.
006. The Go-Go’s - “We Got The Beat” : Always been a bit of a catchy song. Decent listen.
007. Yoko Ono - “Walking On Thin Ice” : Hmm it’s… different. It’s fine, just there’s nothing really like captivating about it. Except maybe… her gagging noises.
008. Dolly Parton - “9 to 5” : Pleasant bop, good listen.
009. Sade - “Smooth Operator” : Definitely smooth music. Not really doing much for me though.
010. Madonna - “Like a Prayer” : The pre-chorus and chorus are good. Good song yes.
011. Letitia Dean & Paul Medford - “Something Outa Nothing” : Some decent music. It’s alright.
012. The Cure  - “In Between Days” : Quite good, enjoy his voice, the music is good enough too. Solid song.
013. a-ha - “Take on Me” : I mean duhhhh. Bopppp. Great song.
014. Donna Summer - “She Works Hard For the Money” : Some good music, bit of a catchy beat.
015. Rick Astley - “Never Gonna Give You Up” : What things like TikTok have turned this into is eh, but it is a veryyy good song, strong closer.
773 days ago
ryan5676
01) Deneice Williams – This is a nice classic song that has the sound and feel of the 80’s with it’s cheery beat but it does get tiring towards the end
02) Paula Abdul – I don’t like this garbage of a song that has just too many music elements and sound effects put in which clusters it up
03) Toni Basil – Yes, I so love this song and she can really deliver it with that energy and the cheerleading chant helps to make it so memorable
04) Whitney Houston – I so want to dance along to this song as Whitney always deliver the vocals and it has a nice charm but it does drag and could have been shortened
05) The Toy Dolls – This feels very British with these chaps and it is so weird to see them sing this children’s song but they made it into a fantastic chant I can’t help to join in
06) The Go-Go’s – They got the beat and I very much adore this cute catchy song that has me smiling and jamming along and that is how you win me over
07) Yoko Ono – Is that my cat screeching oh my mistake it was Yoko and it was hard to tell the difference and why does she think she can sing
08) Dolly Parton – Now this is a bop that ages so well and I love her country voice that works with the song and it is catchy and the lyrics for sure apply to me
09) Sade – I find this to be quite a bore with the samey instruments sound and their vocals just stay at the same key and nothing much happens
10) Madonna – This is a masterpiece of a song that booms so much power and is giving me goosebumps with her singing, backing vocals and the holy music
11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford – Now I know why Letitia decided to switch careers to acting in soaps as this is a horrific track with the sounding mixing being out of synch
12) The Cure – The instrumentals get me grooving a bit but his vocals are a put off not reaching any range and just sounds like he is drunk
13) a-ha – This song defines the 80’s and the opening beat is such an earworm and it has so much synth and everything I needed for this themed week
14) Donna Summer – Eh I don’t think she is working hard enough with those lacklustre vocals and the beat is so obnoxious with the same tune
15) Rick Astley – Who don’t want to be rick rolled by this banger as the music drags you in and you can’t get away and his booming voice is the cherry on top
772 days 21 hours ago
LornaHollas
1.        Deneice William “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” – Recognised it when it got to the chorus, it’s fine.
2.        Paula Abdul “Straight Up” – Carmen vs Raja! This song is such a bop!
3.        Toni Basil “Mickey” – This song always reminds me of Waynes World
4.        Whitney Houston “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” – When I went to see Nina Bonina Brown she performed this dressed as Whitney. Parts of her wig kept coming off and it was a mess! I loved it!
5.        The Toy Dolls “Nellie The Elephant” – I vaguely  remember a kids tv show with this as it’s theme tune
6.        The Go-Go’s “We Got The Beat” – Another song I recognised when it got to the chorus
7.        Yoko Ono “Walking On Thin Ice” – I LOVE HER! She is the best at making weird experimental avant-garde music.
8.        Dolly Parton “9 to 5” – I love Dolly! This song is such a bop!
9.        Sade “Smooth Operator” – It has a nice vibe to it
10.        Madonna “Like a Prayer” – CLASSIC! This song is so good!
11.        Letitia Dean & Paul Medford “Something Outa Nothing” – lol did not know eastenders did music
12.        The Cure “In Between Days” – My friend went dressed as him to an 80s themed Halloween party we went to a few years ago
13.        a-ha “Take on Me” – I first heard of this song from family guy when Chris gets stuck in the fridge aisle at the supermarket!
14.        Donna Summer “She Works Hard For the Money” – Quite catchy, definitely heard this before but can’t place where
15.        Rick Astley “Never Gonna Give You Up” – lol this song has taken on a life of its own!
772 days 14 hours ago
nateclove
01) Deneice Williams - This was cute! I must admit I haven't listened to it in a while and now that I've relistened it actually aged like wine quite a bit!

02) Paula Abdul - A timeless classic! If u don't get this then u just don't have ears sorry bout it!

03) Toni Basil - omggggg a bop though I must admit quite repetitive! I guess thats the point of the song though LOL

04) Whitney Houston - omgggggg a BOP! This song WAS my childhood.

05) The Toy Dolls - Oh wow go off I guess! Music was definitely made!

06) The Go-Go’s - This was...cute! I've never heard it before so points for that!

07) Yoko Ono - oh wow this was different and quite enjoyable I must admit.

08) Dolly Parton - TIMELESS! Love this song soooo much!

09) Sade - My mom hates this song bc it reminds her of her ex </3 but bitch I listen to it in private bc BOPPP

10) Madonna - Amazing stunning show stopping delicious goodness!

11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford - This was quite forgettable for me!

12) The Cure - This was good. I must admit it didn't leave much of an impact on me though.

13) a-ha - I'm gonna be honest and admit that I've never really liked this song! I mean its cute and all but I don't love it!

14) Donna Summer - This long ass song LMAO but quite honestly I did NOT realise it was so long because of how much I was enjoying it!

15) Rick Astley - I've been rickrolled haha! xD 💯💯💯
772 days 12 hours ago
Christian_
01) Deneice Williams: ☕️, the 80's vibes jumped out. very pleasant, def enjoyed this!
02) Paula Abdul: 🍷, LMAO this is her? i never knew. an iconic bop made even more iconic.
03) Toni Basil: 🧃, solid but after like one or two listens i've sorta been tapped out on this for another decade.
04) Whitney Houston: 🍷, dances with whoever sent this sm. bopppppppppp
05) The Toy Dolls: 🥛, crickets...damn that one shirtless guy needs to eat a burger...im worried
06) The Go-Go’s: 🍷, you should've sent this video instead.
07) Yoko Ono: 🧉, an experience i'd rather not repeat.
08) Dolly Parton: 🍷, triggered to my own 9-5. mommmmmmm
09) Sade: 🧃, meh.mp4
10) Madonna: ☕️, if this song was like a solid two minutes shorter it'd be wine methinks
11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford: 🧃, a little too slow for my liking!
12) The Cure: 🧉, eh i didnt like the male vocalist's voice.
13) a-ha: 🍷, the perfect driving song. loved the the last of us cover as well.
14) Donna Summer: 🍷, i mean yes she repeats the same lyric for 4 minutes, but she does it with STYLE.
15) Rick Astley 🍷, you've been rickrolled!
772 days 1 hour ago
Alexeh23
01) deniece williams - oh this is a classic. gorgeous pop fun. bop!
02) paula abdul - i only know this song from when jamelia (portrayed by jamelia) danced to it on strictly. i love jamelia <3 this song is okay.
03) toni basil - i mean iconic song obviously but it really does drag long before the end. not sure it will stand up in beta.
04) whitney houston - ur boring but this song is obviously incredible so who cares.
05) the toy dolls - akdjghadfkjgadfg THIS is how you play beta!!! i mean dont look at my points whoever sent this but i respect you sm! beery burp.
06) the go-go’s - this is definitely a cutesy little classic. ive never liked LOVED it but yeah its fun i get it!
07) yoko ono - this is so... like the boy next door from a boyband poster. i wanted to hate this bc 5 years of yoko ono is like enough but i moved a bit i can't lie. mom a bit
08) dolly parton - OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i love her sm. i know everyone thinks whitney is winning this week but i think dolly landslides actually + who can be mad???
09) sade - i don't really KNOW sade like i know OF her but i wouldn't be able to tell u a song of hers. this is quite gorgeous though maybe i should give her a listen!
10) madonna - she ruined this song when she performed it at eurovision ajdfghkajfdg i can only associate this with her not hitting a SINGLE note now. this has never been like a personal madonna fave of mine but i do get it.
11) letitia dean & paul medford - SHARON????? this + the toy dolls is how you play beta. this is a hittttttttttt omg i never knew she was such a prolific and powerful chanteuse. is there ANYTHING she cant do??? i don't know a better person. a better song. a better singer. a better dancer. a better actress. a better mother. a better writer. a better philanthropist. a better strictly come dancing quarter finalist. she was insane for this.
12) the cure - the hatchie print. its cutesy, very cute!
13) a-ha - timeless classic obviously obviously. its not like one of my FAVES but its very good.
14) donna summer - i remembered this song being better than it actually is... its like a song to dance to rather than a song to listen to i think. queen tho
15) rick astley - i was ahead of my time when i sent this to tsc <3333 memes aside this has always just been a feel good bop to me.
772 days ago
NicoleF
01) Deneice Williams - TOOT - Truly a classic, but very dated and not the best of the best. Still, though, it's a classic for a reason and I was bopping.

02) Paula Abdul - TOOT - Honestly debated a shoot. One of my favorite songs of the 80s probably ever and the RPDR connection just increases its stock for me.

03) Toni Basil - TOOT - Oh wow, this hidden gem! I forgot it existed but I am so happy I got to hear it because it screams 80s and is truly underrated!

04) Whitney Houston - TOOT - I mean...a classic! It's great, but honestly not my favorite Whitney song and I wish a different one was sent. This does tend to lean on the long side and gets a bit old near the end. Still, though, it's fucking Whitney Houston!!! So obviously it's good.

05) The Toy Dolls - BOOT - Anyway...hope to never hear that again wow.

06) The Go-Go’s - SHOOT - Omg fun fact, I visited the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame when I was in Ohio over this past weekend and I guess the Go-Go's got inducted last year so when we went around the "recent inductees" section, they played this song on blast and I was getting my life! So underrated but it still slaps today!

07) Yoko Ono - BOOT - Honestly...it's very weird and borderline questionably offensive that people ironically stan her. Anyway this wasn't good.

08) Dolly Parton - SHOOT - Of all the classics I've used 'classic' for so far, this is the most classic honestly in my opinion. Like wow...talk about an impact. I wish that after college, I only have to work 9-5 LMAO. That sounds better than I'll probably get.

09) Sade - TOOT - Never heard this before but this was entrancing and intriguing. I was left wanting more, but in a good way.

10) Madonna - TOOT - Oh I hate this horrid milk but I can't lie that this song is good. Overrated, but good.

11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford - BOOT - Something in the production felt really off, specifically in the pace/tempo department. It made this feel like a bigger mess than it probably was.

12) The Cure - TOOT - Never heard it before, but it's kinda the perfect 80s sound for me. I enjoyed this a good bit!

13) a-ha - SHOOT - No but you don't understand! This song has sentimental memories attached to it! Back in high school, when there was no pandemic and life was fun, I was in pep band on my alto saxophone and this was one of our songs! This was my favorite song to play because my instrument had the main part, for the most part, but like...on steroids. Like there were 93823735453 eighth and sixteenth notes and our band director always would direct us slightly faster than the original song so like...it was so fun to play. My best friend and I would loooove when we played this, especially our senior year because our band director had a senior saxophone solo section in this song so we'd always get, like, a shining moment every basketball game. It was a few of the times in my life where I actually felt talented! That being said...Gigi Goode, later, knocked this song a peg or two down...ew.

14) Donna Summer - TOOT - Can Donna Summer do wrong? No. The answer...is no. This was so groovy and fun!

15) Rick Astley - BOOT - Anyway....I actually love and respect whoever sent this cause it's so funny, especially since this is the last song, but if I'm judging the entire song and not just the troll section, it's....not that good.
771 days 21 hours ago
ilovetosing
1) Deneice Williams- “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” - It's very 80s, but it does get a bit tiring. I always thought the title is  “Let’s Hear It From the Boys” lol.

2) Paula Abdul - “Straight Up” - I like the dance in the beginning, the song itself is ok I guess.

3) Toni Basil - “Mickey” - THIS IS LITERALLY MY CHILDHOOD.

4) Whitney Houston - “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” - A classic.

5) The Toy Dolls - “Nellie The Elephant” - I hope Nellie will never be released into the wild so that I don't have to listen to this.

6) The Go-Go’s - “We Got The Beat” - I don't think the beat is so good that you need to make a song about it.

7) Yoko Ono - “Walking On Thin Ice” - You're right that you're walking on thin ice WITH MY PATIENCE.

8) Dolly Parton - “9 to 5” - Who needs coffee to wake you up when you have this.

9) Sade - “Smooth Operator” - So classy and silky smooth.

10) Madonna - “Like a Prayer” - I've never really liked this song so yeah.

11) Letitia Dean & Paul Medford - “Something Outa Nothing” - Well, this is another typical song from the 80s.

12) The Cure  - “In Between Days” - I guess this is ok.

13) a-ha - “Take on Me”- Another classic but kind of overplayed.

14) Donna Summer - “She Works Hard For the Money” - I can live with this.

15) Rick Astley - “Never Gonna Give You Up” - Smile! You've been Rick-rolled on BETA!

open group

BETA (a TSC Production)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!