This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Challenge 9: Fourth of July

Topic » Challenge 9: Fourth of July

4349 days 15 hours ago
camdizzils
Hey chefs! Come on in! Ok so the 4thof July i quickly approaching us! So for this challenge you have to serve a dish that would be common to find on the fourth of july! Easy as that! Onl have to make 1 dish. And also for this challenge you have to do one more thing. You have to tell us who YOU think is going to win the competition. You cant say yourself. I just wanna see who you think will win in your opinion! ALSO REMEMBER TO PUT THE TITLE OF YOUR DISH!!!!!!
4349 days 11 hours ago
koolmanmadden
Hot Berries 'n' Brownie Ice Cream Cake Recipe

The hot mixed berry topping seeps through the brownie layer into the cool vanilla ice cream for a zippy chilled cake. Yum!

Ingredients

1 package fudge brownie mix (13-inch x 9-inch pan size)
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup canola oil
    2 eggs
    1 carton (1-3/4 quarts) reduced-fat no-sugar-added vanilla ice cream, softened
    BERRY SAUCE:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup honey
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
    2 cups fresh blueberries
    2 cups fresh raspberries

Directions

Prepare brownie mix using water, applesauce, oil and eggs. Bake according to package directions; cool completely on a wire rack.
    Crumble brownies into 1-in. pieces; sprinkle half into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray. Spread evenly with ice cream. Press remaining brownie pieces into ice cream. Cover and freeze for 1 hour or until firm.
    Remove from the freezer 5 minutes before serving. For sauce, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in the sugar, honey, lime juice, vinegar, cinnamon and cayenne. Add berries; cook for 3-5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Cut cake into squares; top with hot berry sauce. Yield: 24 servings.
4349 days 11 hours ago
rstar2468
During every 4th of July, I always have a barbecue. So I made:

Grilled Chicken Breast with Tomato Chutney

Ingredients:

2  poundsripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch piece
3/4  cupcider vinegar
1/2  cuppacked dark-brown sugar
1  small onion, finely chopped
1-1/2  teaspoonssalts
4  teaspoonsground ginger
1-1/2  teaspoonsground cumin
2  tablespoonsvegetable oil
1  teaspoonground coriander
1/4  teaspooncayenne pepper
4  small boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds total)

Directions:

1. In a medium-size saucepan, stir together tomatoes, vinegar, brown sugar, onion, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1 teaspoon of the ground ginger and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat.
3. Boil for 18 to 22 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the liquid has cooked off; set aside and keep warm.
4. Meanwhile, place vegetable oil, remaining 3 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 teaspoon cumin, the coriander and cayenne in a shallow glass dish; stir to combine.
5. Place chicken in the mixture and turn to coat.
6. Heat gas grill to medium-high or prepare charcoal grill with medium-hot coals.
7. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and grill for about 7 minutes per side or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer.
8.Serve chicken with a heaping 1/4 cup chutney.

Picture:
http://www.recipe.com/images/grilled-chicken-breast-with-tomato-chutney-R120162-ss.jpg

I also think that Topher might win.
4349 days 11 hours ago
Danielvk
Extra Crispy Fried Chicken

Ingredients

Marinade:
4 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
1 (4 pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces

4 cups oil for deep frying

Coating:
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
Directions

In a large glass dish or bowl, combine the water, salt and monosodium glutamate and mix together. Add chicken and turn to coat; cover and refrigerate to marinate for 20 minutes, turning a few times.
In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together egg and milk. In a separate shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and monosodium glutamate. Remove chicken from marinade (discarding remaining marinade) and drain.
Preheat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
One at a time, dip chicken pieces into flour mixture, then egg/milk mixture, then flour mixture again, making sure each piece is well coated. Stack coated pieces on a plate or baking sheet.
Drop chicken, one piece at a time, into hot oil. Fry half of the chicken pieces (4 pieces) for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, then fry remaining pieces for the same amount of time. (Note: Stir chicken around halfway through the frying time, so that each piece cooks evenly). Drain fried chicken for about 5 minutes on paper towels or a wire cooling rack before serving.

I also think that Realchance will win because of how well he has been doing week after week
4349 days 7 hours ago
Realchance
ARNOLD PALMER CUPCAKES

So I wanted to make something sweet that lots of people would enjoy. Fourth of July is an exciting time and lots of barbecues happen. Lots of cupcakes get served at the BBQ because its so easy well today I am making an Arnold Palmer Cupcake for you all.

Ingredients
1 cup milk
5 black tea bags
1 cups unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
Arnold Palmer Frosting, recipe follows
Directions
In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until hot to the touch. Place tea bags in hot milk, and let steep for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags. Let milk cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with paper liners.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1/2 cup milk and tea mixture, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Gradually add dry mix into the wet ingredients.

Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread or pipe Arnold Palmer Frosting evenly over cupcakes.

Arnold Palmer Frosting:
1 cups unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
1/2 cup reserved milk/tea mixture
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar alternately with tea/milk mixture slowly. Beat in lemon juice until creamy.

My thoughts of who can win this are Tunhino, Daniel and Epstar as they have all proved they are amazing cooks in this competition and can cook stellar food.
4348 days 22 hours ago
jman96
well for the 4th of july i always want a burger and I was looking for meat on the colom 4th of july and here it is. I give you the Banh Mi Burger.

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped cucumber, seeded if large
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 teaspoon white sugar   
2 pounds ground pork
2 tablespoons tamari sauce
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
1 teaspoon fish sauce   
6 sesame seed hamburger buns
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil (optional)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint (optional)

Directions

In a bowl, mix together the cucumber, green onion, carrot, rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons of mirin, and sugar until the mixture is well blended. Refrigerate 3 hours to overnight.

Place the pork in a mixing bowl, and lightly combine with tamari sauce, sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of mirin, ginger, chili garlic sauce, and fish sauce. Divide the meat into 6 equal parts, and form each part into a patty. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.

Grill the burgers until the meat is no longer pink inside and the outside is crisp and brown, about 5 minutes per side. To assemble, place a burger on a sesame seed bun, and pile about 1/4 cup of the pickle mixture onto the burger. Sprinkle with a bit of fresh basil and mint, if desired.

if not me then I would say Topher for the win as he has been strong throughout this competion jst like me.

enjoy the burger.
4348 days 21 hours ago
Tuninho
Becouse I'm portuguese and here we dont celebrate 4th July I went on a search to find what kind of food people do in this day. Well, I found that people do a lot of barbecue and they grill ribs so here's my recipe.

Jalapeno Ribs

"These ribs are unique because of the spicy rub and the combination of sweet brown sugar and spicy jalapeno peppers in the sauce. "

Prep: 1 hour 35 min. Grill: 10 min. Yield: 4 Servings

Ingredients
4 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
3-1/2 to 4 pounds pork spareribs

JALAPENO BARBECUE SAUCE:
2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules

Directions

-In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients; rub onto both sides of ribs. Place ribs, meat side up, on a rack in a foil-lined roasting pan. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours or until tender.
-Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sauce ingredients; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until thickened.
-Grill ribs, uncovered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until browned, basting with sauce and turning several times. Reheat remaining sauce and serve with ribs.

Note: Ribs may be baked and sauce may be prepared a day ahead and refrigerated. Then grill and baste for 15 minutes or until heated through and nicely glazed. We recommend wearing disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers. Avoid touching your face.

http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/Photos/37/exps7257_PPBQ1554514D23B.jpg

I think that Realchance is the one who has the best chances on winning. But Topher is a good choice too. But we still have some challenges to do and this can change at any moment.
4348 days 21 hours ago
Kizza
Petite Steaks with Wild Rice Baby Peppers with  a side of  Red and White Double Dippers with Blue Corn Chips

Ingredients

2 boneless beef top loin (strip) steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 10 ounces each), trimmed and cut in half
    1 teaspoon steak seasoning

Stuffed Peppers:

8 baby sweet bell peppers (about 2-1/2 to 3 inches long, about 6 ounces)
    1 package (8.8 ounces) herb-seasoned ready-to-serve long grain and wild rice blend
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup frozen thawed chopped spinach, squeezed dry
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Pan Sauce:

3/4 cup vegetable broth
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon butter

Directions

1. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes, but not stem. Place peppers, cut-sides up, in 8x8-inch glass baking dish or 10-inch round microwave-safe plate. Combine rice, spinach, green onions and cheese in large bowl. Spoon mixture into pepper halves. Cover and microwave on HIGH 4 to 6 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and filling is hot. Let stand 2 minutes. Keep warm.

2. Meanwhile, press steak seasoning evenly onto steaks. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare (145 degrees F) for medium (160 degrees F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove to platter; keep warm.

3. Add broth and vinegar to same skillet; cook and stir until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Increase heat; bring to a boil. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Remove from heat. Stir in butter; whisk until melted.

4. Serve steaks with sauce and peppers.

Side

Red Pepper Salsa:

2 red bell peppers
    1 ripe tomato on the vine, quartered
    1/3 cup piquante peppers, such as peppadew, mild or sweet
    1/4 of a large white onion, cut into large chunks
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce

Creamy Garlic Lime Dip:

1 1/2 cups sour cream
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon lime zest
    2 small cloves garlic, finely grated
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Blue corn tortilla chips, for serving

Directions

Preheat the broiler. Place the bell peppers on a large baking sheet and broil, turning, until the bell peppers have blackened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand until cooled.

While the peppers cool, make the creamy garlic lime dip. Stir the sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, coriander, zest, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl until smooth. Stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons of water to adjust the consistency to your liking.

Rub the skin off the bell peppers and remove the stem and seeds. Put in the bowl of a food processor or the carafe of a blender. Add the tomato, piquante peppers, onion, lime juice, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pulse until chunky. Transfer to a serving bowl and season with the hot sauce, salt and pepper.
4348 days 21 hours ago
Kizza
I think Jman will win.
4348 days 19 hours ago
jman96
finally someone says I have a hance of winning. lol
4348 days 19 hours ago
jman96
*chance
4347 days 7 hours ago
Topher
So much for not having to wait as long anymore... >.>
4343 days 12 hours ago
camdizzils
im sorry guys :( i have  A BIG family issue with someone in the hospital! ill hopefully have results up sunday!
4341 days 16 hours ago
jman96
I hate my computer as it made me leave the group. Im not quitting.
4341 days 14 hours ago
jman96
Thanks cam. gl to everyone for the cermoney.
4340 days 13 hours ago
Topher
I just realized my dish didn't save!!!

Grilled Filet Mignon

2 cloves mined garlic
Coarse salt
Fresh ground pepper

(The above ingredients were applied to the meat directly as a rub.)

1/4 c pineapple juice
1/4 c soy sauce
2 Tbl brown sugar
1 Tbl honey
2 tsp fresh grated ginger

Mix the above ingredients together and marinate steak for at least 30 minutes.

I think JMAN is going to win.

open group

Top Chef!

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!