This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Nerd War #3

Topic » Nerd War #3

3699 days 4 hours ago
porschefan101
CALLING ALL NERDS

We tested your creativity and technical skills last week. Now, we will test your creativity again, along with your writing abilities. This week’s Nerd War is to create an epic fantasy world as a team! Your world must include a description of the setting, four characters, and a plot that includes these characters. Note that it should be an introduction to a storyline, not an entire story. The requirements are as follows:

1. The world must be fantastical in some way (Sci-Fi would also work). No reality-esque stories obviously.

2. All members must participate! Each person should create one character. Defenders of Kingswood, because you have one extra member, one of you MUST sit out and not design a character. You will only receive half credit for a character that was designed by somebody that wasn’t supposed to!

3. Your total word count cannot be above 1,500 words (it can be less). If it goes beyond that, I will simply delete random words until it meets requirements.

4. Pictures are NOT ALLOWED. The opportunity to showcase that talent was last week.

Myself, Sean, and a guest judge will be grading your worlds on the following criteria:

10 Points- The World Itself (Do you describe your world in sufficient detail? Can I picture it clearly? Is it both unique and interesting?

20 Points- Characters (Are they compelling? Do they make us wish they were real? Are they creative?)

20 Points- Storyline (Would your plot/storyline hold up in a real movie? Would I read this if it was real? Would this series resonate with nerds across the globe?)

Your stories will be due 36 hours from now. You are, as always, allowed to turn them in early, but not late!
Good luck!
3697 days 13 hours ago
porschefan101
Both stories are in and the results will be revealed sometime this afternoon
3697 days 7 hours ago
SuzyGold
If you know when you will be CALLING ALL NERDS, I'll try and be there.
3697 days 7 hours ago
porschefan101
im grading DBK's right now. Sean will be on soon to do so as well, and then we need to find a guest judge.
3697 days 6 hours ago
hinata0014
you didn't find a judge beforehand?
3697 days 6 hours ago
porschefan101
we did but theyre mia
3697 days 5 hours ago
SuzyGold
Next season you can use this season's contestants as the guest judges.  :)
3697 days 5 hours ago
Ghoul
Both teams stories have been judged and a winner has been decided.
3697 days 5 hours ago
Ghoul
But before we announce who won both Porsche and I wrote some brief comments about each story.
3697 days 5 hours ago
Ghoul
We'll start off with Defenders of Kingswood!
3697 days 5 hours ago
porschefan101
(also, due to both Sean and I agreeing, there was no need to find a guest judge)
3697 days 5 hours ago
Jkjkjk15
Ok!
3697 days 5 hours ago
Ghoul
Comments:

World- I am interested about the state of the universe presented, but not much was given considering how large the world is. There was some description of where they were from/where they were, but I was still left sort of wondering.

Characters- I liked the characters, enjoying Cobalt and Jasmine the most. Cobalt I wanted to see more of and learn what is personality really is like, and whether his violence has an on/off switch, which seemed to be the case because he was rather docile for a man who killed his family. Gedrick I wasn't really sure about. It was hard to gather that he was the narrator at first and we didn't learn much about him until the very end, where it seemed a bit tacked on for me at least.

Plot Line- I was interested in learning more about how they all got to their points in life, what they were going to accomplish as a unit, and especially about Cobalt and his condition caused by the Laernys Guard.
But while I did enjoy what was coming up, I didn't feel that I got a good grasp on what was really happening then and there. It sort of felt like an unanswered question was hanging over the story, missing pieces in a sense.
3697 days 5 hours ago
porschefan101
-grammar errors hurt flow
-... @ Dr. Phil reference
-this would be more successful with a quad perspective
-I really feel like I didn’t get to know Gedrick. All I got about his backstory was that he used to gamble. The parts with him on Earth 2 were kinda cheesy honestly. This tends to happen when you only narrate through the eyes of one character when there are 4 equally as important ones, especially when the rest are way more interesting. He was NOT the right choice for narrator.
-Cobalt needs to be waaaay more serious. He murdered his entire family, he shouldnt be taking any shit! also, why the hell is he in a band? again, he was forced to kill his family. most badass space warriors wouldnt vent their frustrations by actually being in a band.
-i need more description on savnos, i still dont know what the hell they are hahaha
-you could have gone into some more depth about the universe. i understand that there was no set planet where everything takes place and thats fine, but you should have described the state of the universe at that point, how all these planets were connected, etc. all you had was the Laernys Guard andthe universe in general
-i feel like you could have used less dialogue and much more description
-i think the characters goals should be more cohesive. Maybe give them ALL a reason to hate the Laernys Guard (besides June, her character has a set motivation. Jasmine could have like been on the spacecraft and been pushed off course by one of the Guard’s ships. Idk about Gedrick b/c Gedrick.)

-if you completely cut the idea of this band being even remotely legit then id like it. it can only be a cover. even then it makes it much more of a 10-12 year old story. I would definitely avoid random scenes of them playing on the ship too, this would be a great story as like a mission to destroy Laernys.
-I love Jasmine, she was great. If this was a book then she’d be the favorite.
-I like June. Sadly, you cut out her story about wanting to prove herself, which was a big part of her in the planning. She was fun but was just another bitchy girl based on what you put in the story. Make her venomous and bitchy, but have a good heart overall.
-in general your characters were developed, unlike the other team. even Gedrick scores higher than the best of them.
-plot was good overall. not spectacular, but with some fine tuning i can see this being successful
-dont think i didnt notice the Buffy and Ivan references!
-i enjoy you creating your own animal (savnos) as well as using earth animals (rabbit)
-the Laenerys Guard is awesome. sadly, you left it undeveloped.
3697 days 5 hours ago
porschefan101
Top comments are critiques, bottom comments are compliments
3697 days 5 hours ago
Ghoul
And now we can move on to the Dark Bazinga Knights.

open group

King of the Nerds 1

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!