This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

EPISODE 2: COLORS OF THE SEASON! (quickfire)

Topic » EPISODE 2: COLORS OF THE..

4186 days 13 hours ago
forgot to tell you! we have episode titles now!

anyways for your quickfire challenge: Each chef is randomly given a color, and thier dish must be centered around that color.

in front of you is a knife block! you will draw knives! your knife will say either "red", "blue" or "green"

ready chefs?

chefs: yes!

Ed: great! lets begin! random.org decides who goes first (and decides what color you have)

nickiminaj! your up first!

*NickiMinaj draws BLUE knife* your color is BLUE! gl! <3

tuninho your up!

*tuninho draws GREEN knife* your color is BLUE! gl! <3

zed55 your up next!

*zed55 draws BLUE knife* your color is GREEN! GL! <3

jman96 your up next!

*jman96 draws RED knife* your color is RED! gl! <3

realchance and koolmanmadden step up plz!

*both step up*

*realchance puts hand on knife*
*koolmanmadden puts hand on knife*

REVEAL!

*REAL AND KOOL LIFT UP THEIR KNIVES AND REVEAL (sorry for the caps there) realchance your color is GREEN! GL <3 koolmanmadden your color is RED! GL <3

good luck everyone! you have 24 hours to post! gl! oh and 1 more thing you guys are going against each other!

Green:
Realchance vs Zed55

Red:
Koolmanmadden vs Jman96

Blue:
NickiMinaj vs Tuninho

your goal is to have the better dish than your partner or in this case the one your up against!! so are you ready?

Chefs: yes!

IN 3..

1!!!

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO POST! GL CHEFS!
4186 days 12 hours ago
NickiMinaj
The reason I have chosen the dish I have made today is because I love it for a start, and Gorgonzola is one of the best Italian Blue Vein cheeses. Of course the Blue cheese incorporates with the theme of blue for my knife colour. Hope you enjoy.

Grilled Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

4 cups heavy cream
3 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 (8 ounce) fillets beef tenderloin
1 pinch lemon pepper
1 pinch garlic powder
1 pinch onion powder
salt and ground black pepper to taste
12 slices thick sliced bacon, chopped
4 green onions, chopped

Directions

1. Pour heavy cream into a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until the cream has reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about an hour. Remove from heat and whisk in the Gorgonzola cheese and Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, until the cheese has melted.

2. Season the beef tenderloin with lemon pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Set aside. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.

3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.

4. Cook the steaks until they start to firm, and are reddish-pink and juicy in the center, 3 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C). Remove the steaks from the grill and tent with foil to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve each steak with the Gorgonzola sauce and top with crumbled bacon and chopped green onion.
4186 days 11 hours ago
Tuninho
The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Blue is the sea. So I decided to do a sea inspired dish.

Pacific Cod and Clam Cacciucco

Ingredients
For the fish stock:
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, smashed
Salt
2 pounds white fish bones, such as cod
1/2 pound shrimp shells
2 bay leaves
3 thyme sprigs

For the basic tomato broth:
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 fennel bulb, sliced thin, reserve fronds for garnish
2 celery stalks, sliced thin on the bias
Kosher salt
3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
Pinch crushed red pepper
2 cups white wine
2 quarts light fish stock
Large pinch saffron
1 (28-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, crushed or pureed
1 bundle thyme
3 bay leaves

Directions
For the stew:

Extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound cleaned cod fillets, cut into 4 pieces
Kosher salt
16 littleneck clams
4 cups basic tomato broth
1/2 pound large shrimp, shelled and deveined, reserve shells for stock
1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans
2 cups escarole leaves
1/2 loaf ciabatta, cut into 4 (3/4-inch) thick slices
1 garlic clove
High quality extra-virgin olive oil
For the fish stock:

Heat a stock pot, lightly coated with olive oil, over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic and salt, to taste, and sweat for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the fish bones and shrimp shells and fill the pot with water. Add the bay leaves and thyme and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid into a bowl and reserve. Voila! Fishstock!

For the tomato broth:

Heat a large saucepan, lightly coated with olive oil, over medium heat. Add the onions, fennel, celery and a large pinch of salt. Cook the veggies until soft and very aromatic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the wine and reduce by half. Season with salt. It's important to season all along the way.

Add 2 quarts of fish stock and the saffron. Stir in the pureed tomatoes, thyme and bay leaves. Season with salt and cook for 20 to 30 minutes. The final broth should be a very pretty and flavorful soup. Taste and add salt, if needed. Remove and discard the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Reserve.

For the stew:

Heat a straight sided saute pan, lightly coated with olive oil, over high heat. Season the cod with salt, add it to the pan and brown it on all sides. Remove the cod from the pan to a large plate and reserve.

Drain the fat from the pan and add the clams and about 4 cups of the tomato broth. Cover and cook until the clams open, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the shrimp and cod along with the beans and the escarole. Cover and cook until the cod and shrimp are cooked through and the escarole is wilted. If at any point the soup has cooked down too much, add more tomato broth.

For the toast:

Preheat grill. Place bread slices on grill and toast on both sides. Remove and rub with garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and cut in half.

To assemble:

Remove the cod, clams and shrimp from the pan and put in a bowl. Spoon the beans and escarole into serving bowls. Ladle in the tomato broth and arrange the cod, clams and shrimp on the beans and escarole. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fennel fronds. Serve 2 grilled bread slices with each serving.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/SH4f8LB5bupUfSYjrcCE13elAl2lxiDUyIhrmahA34rDaaodzxmHfmJb_MAP9k_N_Ib6vAoO19Z8LKvPQUZVTznimfg=s400
4186 days 11 hours ago
dragonman12
Chicken With Red Wine Reduction

Ingredients:

Servings:

Units: US | Metric

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and black pepper
flour (for dredging)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil

red wine and mustard sauce

1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup red wine
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions:

Put a good handful of flour in a bowl, pie plate, or deep dinner plate, and keep it near the stove. Mix the sauce ingredients together and keep handy also.
Heat 2/3 of the butter and the olive oil in a large skillet (12") over medium heat. Test the oil/butter heat by flicking a little of the flour into it. If it sizzles and turns brown pretty quickly, it's ready to cook the chicken breasts. Dredge one of the chicken breasts in the flour, coating both sides well. Increase the heat of the pan to medium high when you place the first breast in the pan, dredge the next one and place in the pan, and so forth until all are in the pan. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes, then flip them in the same order as you placed them in the pan, and cook for 3 or 4 more minutes.
When done, move the chicken breasts to a plate and keep them warm in the oven. Turn heat to high, add the chicken stock, red wine, mustard mixture to the pan and boil. Be sure and stir it well, all the time scraping up the bits of chicken, flour mix, etc. from the bottom of the pan. Tilt the pan to one side, and mix in the remaining Tablespoon of butter. Spoon the sauce over the chicken breats and serve immediately.
4186 days 10 hours ago
Green: none done yet!
Realchance vs Zed55

Red: kool is done (hes dragonman12 til hes back on the koolmanmadden account)
Koolmanmadden vs Jman96

Blue: both done!
NickiMinaj vs Tuninho
4186 days 3 hours ago
Realchance
ingredients:
olive oil , for frying
2 large aubergines , thinly sliced
1 red pepper , deseeded and finely chopped
1 large courgette , yellow or green (or 1 small one of each colour), ends trimmed and finely chopped
6 shallots , halved and thinly sliced
2 fat garlic cloves , chopped
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 large vine-ripened tomatoes , quartered
2 tbsp stoned black olives
1 tbsp capers
25g bunch basil , leaves only, shredded
80g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese , 25g grated, the rest in shavings
300g goat's cheese log (chèvre), sliced into 12

200g baby leaf spinach
6tbsp vinaigrette
50g pine nuts , toasted

Method:
Put oil in a large frying pan to cover the base, and heat. Fry the aubergine until softened, 2-3 mins . Season, then drain on paper towel. You may have to do this in batches.
For the filling, add 2-3 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the pepper, courgette, shallots and garlic over a high heat until they have a good colour, 3-5 mins. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add the tomatoes and season, then cook for 3 more mins stirring occasionally until the mixture is softened, but not too saucy. Remove from the heat, then mix in the olives, capers, half the shredded basil and the grated parmesan. Set aside to cool.
Grease the moulds and line the bases with aubergine slices to fit. Top with veg mixture, more aubergine slices (cut to fit if needed) and a slices of cheese. Repeat the layers, finishing with aubergine. Press lightly to firm. Can be covered with cling film and chilled for up to 1 day.
To cook and serve: heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Chilled cups will need to come to room temperature first. Place the cups on a tray, uncovered, and bake for 12-15 mins until bubbling. Allow to stand for 10 mins while you toss the spinach and remaining basil with vinaigrette and seasoning and divide between six dinner plates. Scatter over the nuts.
Loosen the tops of the timbales with a table knife and up-end into the centre of the salad on the plates, shaking the cups to help demould. Top with the parmesan shavings and serve.
466 kcalories, protein 18g, carbohydrate 12g, fat 39 g, saturated fat 12g, fibre 5g, sugar 11g, salt 1.69 g
4185 days 23 hours ago
Zed55
I thought of St. Patrick's Day so that's what I did

One 3-pound corned beef brisket (uncooked), in brine
16 cups cold water
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
4 whole allspice berries
2 whole cloves
1/2 large head green cabbage (about 2 pounds), cut into 8 thick wedges
8 small new potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), halved
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Serving suggestion: Whole-grain mustard or horseradish sauce (recipe follows)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Place the corned beef in a colander in the sink and rinse well under cold running water.

Place the corned beef in a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, add the water, bay leaves, peppercorns, allspice and cloves. Bring to a boil, uncovered, and skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Cover and transfer pan to the oven, and braise until very tender, about 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Transfer the corned beef to a cutting board and cover tightly with foil to keep warm. Add the cabbage and potatoes to the cooking liquid and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cabbage to a large platter. Slice the corned beef across the grain of the meat into thin slices. Lay the slices over the cabbage and surround it with the potatoes. Ladle some of the hot cooking liquid over the corned beef and season with pepper. Serve immediately with the mustard or horseradish sauce.

Horseradish Sauce:
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons jarred grated horseradish (with liquid)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, zest, and 2 teaspoons salt. Season generously with pepper to taste. Refrigerate the horseradish sauce for at least 30 minutes before serving.
4185 days 20 hours ago
jman96
I have some lobster and Crab Pasta with adddiontion of scallops and the red sauce is the Red Marinara Sauce.

Ingredents

Pasta:

3 pieces of scallops * I Cooked*

3 pieces of lobster * I Cooked*

1 pan full of lobster * I Cooked*

3 sliced-in-half tomatos

Sauce

2 (14.5 ounces) of stewed tomatos

1 (6 ounces) can tomato paste

4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

6 tablespoon olive oil

1/3 cup finley diced onion

1/2 cup white wine

Directions: Pasta

Start cooking the pasta

While waiting, start cooking the scallops

then Cook the Lobster and Crab

Then Start on the Sauce

Sauce:

1. In a food processor place italian tomato paste, chopped parsley, mined garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Blend untill smooth.

2. In a large skillet over medium heat sautethe finley chopped onion in olive oil for 2 mins. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.

3. Simmer for 30 mins, sturring occasionally.

Finally:

PLace the sauce on the plate

place the pasta on the plate then

Poor the Scallops, Lobsters and Crab on the pasta

Chop the tomato slices then put it on top of the pasta

Serve to judges.

Enjoy
4185 days 19 hours ago
jman96
4185 days 10 hours ago
turney1805
NickiMinaj- Grilled Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce

8. This is why I want you to make sure you always compete. I LOVE the approach you took on this dish and the use of Gorgonzola was amazing. I didnt give this a 10 simply because I wanted to see a little more blue, but other than that great job!

Tuninho- Pacific Cod and Clam Cacciucco

5. Let me start off by saying, that your stew is very well executed and I appreciate that the challenge inspired you to make seafood, but you realize that there is nothing blue on your plate, right? You served us a red dish, which is fine, but you should have found a way to incorporate something that would meet the requirements of the challenge. Follow the rules next time please.

Dragonman12- Chicken With Red Wine Reduction

4. There is nothing special about this dish. This is one of the first dish that teach Culinary students to make. Your flavors arent off and you met the requirements of challenge with the red, but there is nothing special about this dish. It is EXTREMELY safe, and that is something that I warned everyone NOT to do last round.

Realchance- Aubergine Timbales with Goat's Cheese

8. Im glad to see you trying to go out of the box. This dish was very delightful and well executed. I have nothing really bad to say about this dish. (I simply reserve my 9s and 10s for dishes that REALLY "WOW!" me)

Zed55- Corned Beef and Cabbage

6. I can see that you are trying to step outside your comfort zone, but it is still a really safe dish. The flavors go well together, but I have seen this dish so many times. You didnt do anything to make it yours, and that is disappointing. I have warned you multiple times not to play it safe already, so let me make it clear this time:

You are NOT to do any more dishes that are considered safe, because I am perfectly okay with you giving you a score that would send you home.

Jman96- Lobster and Crab Pasta

4.5. Your dish isn't as safe as Kool, which I applaud, but you made it with pre-cooked seafood. You didnt cook any of your own seafood which is VERY disappointing. You have reasonable time constraints in this challenge, you easily could have found a recipe for the Lobster and Crab. I'm so disappointed in you because I KNOW you can do better.

Green:
Realchance (WINNER)  vs Zed55

Red:
Koolmanmadden vs Jman96 (WINNER)

Blue:
NickiMinaj (WINNER) vs Tuninho
4185 days 10 hours ago
NickiMinaj- Grilled Filet Mignon with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
9 for me! omg this is redemption for you! you wowed the hell out of me! i'm really glad you went outside of the box and kept it creative and not safe which i deff applaud for :D well done!

Tuninho- Pacific Cod and Clam Cacciucco
6 for me! this was good! just that you served a RED dish not a BLUE dish! follow rules next time though :)

dragonman12- Chicken With Red Wine Reduction
4 for me! ehh i thought it was safe and you did meet the requirements but it wasn't special to me!

Realchance- Aubergine timbales with Goat's cheese
8.5 for me! well-executed, very good dish although its not the best overall! BUT STILL damn good!

Zed55- Corned Beef and Cabbage
7.5 for me! dont me wrong i absolutely LOVE corn beef and cabbage together but its a safe dish :(

Jman96- lobster and Crab Pasta
5 for me, to me it was safe! but it was pre-cooked like turney said! and that right there ruined the dish for me

if i had to rank these it would be the following:

Green:
Realchance vs Zed55

Red:
Koolmanmadden vs Jman96

Blue:
NickiMinaj vs Tuninho

green's winner- realchance, you and zed pretty close for me
blue's winner- NickiMinaj, your creativity wowed me!
red's winner- Jman96, your lucky it was you and kool battling it out because you 2 had the WORST dishes overall in the quickfire for me!
4184 days 16 hours ago
jman96
how is there Pre-cooked seafood. and which one was it? Crab? Lobster?
4184 days 15 hours ago
turney1805
3 pieces of scallops * I Cooked*

3 pieces of lobster * I Cooked*

1 pan full of lobster * I Cooked*

You never gave a way to cook it, you just said they were cooked. So I don't know what you expect us to think?
4184 days 10 hours ago
ok its been too long!

Green:
Realchance (WINNER)  vs Zed55 (LOSER)

Red:
Koolmanmadden (LOSER) vs Jman96 (WINNER)

Blue:
NickiMinaj (WINNER) vs Tuninho (LOSER)

between the 3 LOSERS the person who had the lowest score was....
Koolmanmadden you will have a disadvantage in the elimination challenge!

Zed, i'm actually quite surprised you didnt do the weakest you get 4th this challenge! your improving slightly but step it up a little bit more :) think outside of the box! :)

tuninho, follow rules next time around :)

between the 3 WINNERS the person who wins IMMUNITY is....
NickiMinaj! you have WON immunity! congatulations! Nicki you are on a roll!

open group

49288's top chef all-stars! (day 10)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!