This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

6TH CHALLENGE - DARKNESS

Topic » 6TH CHALLENGE - DARKNESS

4238 days 13 hours ago
chocolatejer
For this challenge you must produce a main course that is DARK. In other words it either must have a dark color or texture to it, or have a very rich flavor, or both. But it must symbolize DARKNESS.

This challenge requires you to think a little bit so good luck!

NO SALADS
NO DESSERTS
NO EGGS
NO APPETIZERS
NO CUCUMBERS

Good LUCK!!!
4238 days 9 hours ago
Americus
Well, this is hard. Some people, especially some religion don't agree in eating pork or it's insides ir its blood. This is a dark recipe, inside and out. My recipe is from the Philippines and it is called, Dinuguan.

Here's the picture: http://juliem.ninjuro.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/dinuguan1.jpg

And the recipe: http://lutongpinoy.info/dinuguan-recipe/
4238 days 4 hours ago
Josephh
I served my dish to my family and forgot to take a picture, so I had to scour the the internet for the closest picture I could find to the original, I apologize.

When I read this challenge post, the first thing that came to my mind was a dark, rustic soup.

Black Bean Soup (or Puree, if you like)

Fill-in Picture: http://simplerecipes.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/black-bean-soup2.jpg

Ingredients (This is an original recipe):

4 slices of Turkey Bacon
1 medium onion, chopped roughly
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3-4 cups Chicken Stock
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cilantro, julienned
1/2 tsp Paprika
16 oz. Black Beans
1 cup water
Bacon Bits, homemade (garnish)
4238 days ago
octozone
Oregano Barbecue Ribs

picture of the dish:

http://c3319576.r76.cf0.rackcdn.com/por_5992.jpg

(note: it's not accidentally burned, it's supposed to have that sort of dark crust to help the inside be tender and juicy)

ingredients:

• 2 long racks of pork belly ribs (roughly 3kg each)
• a few sprigs of fresh rosemary
• Juice of 1 orange

for the dry rub

• 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
• 5 cloves
• 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 2 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
• a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves picked
• a few sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
• 3 cloves of garlic
• finely grained oregano

for the barbecue sauce
• 120ml tomato ketchup
• a few drops of Tabasco
• 3-4 tablespoons runny honey
• 3 tablespoons apple juice
• a few swigs of Worcestershire sauce
• a swig of balsamic vinegar
• 1 clove of garlic, finely grated

instructions:

Preheat the oven to 160C/325F/gas 3. For the rub, use a pestle and mortar to pound up the fennel seeds, cloves, cumin, black pepper and a good pinch of sea salt until you have a coarse powder. Add the paprika and thyme leaves, then strip in the leaves from 3 to 4 rosemary sprigs and bash it all together, then pound in the garlic cloves.

Lay the ribs in a large baking dish, scatter over the dry rub and massage it in, making sure all the meat is really covered. Turn the ribs 'sad-face' down in the tray then add a few rosemary sprigs and the orange juice. Cover the tray tightly with a double layer of tin foil and cook in the oven for 3½ to 4 hours, or until the meat between the ribs feels tender when you pinch it with your fingers. Add oregano.

For the barbecue sauce, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Have a taste and tweak the flavours until it's right for you. Whatever vibe you're going for, you want to go slightly too far as it will mellow when it cooks. You don't have to, but it's nice to put it on the heat for a couple of minutes to help it along.

Portion up the ribs into pairs, following the bones, then brush that gorgeous sauce all over them, or simply dunk in the sauce. There's a fair sense of urgency as you want to get them all cooking at the same time. Put the ribs on the barbecue in an area with low heat. Once the sauce on top of the ribs starts to dance, flip them over. Keep the temperature down, and start brushing on sauce to build up layers of glaze – as long as they don't burn you're on to a good thing. You can also cook the ribs in a baking tray under the grill for 5–10 minutes, until they're lovely and crisp on the outside.
4237 days 13 hours ago
chocolatejer
CHALLENGE COMPLETE

open group

MasterChef Season 2

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!