This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

[S8] Auditions, Part 5

Topic » [S8] Auditions, Part 5

1913 days ago
TommyD

Good evening and welcome to The X Factor Season Eight! *claps*

The auditions are well under way and tonight we see more hopefuls take to the stage to make it to the next stage of the competition! The #SixChairChallenge!

But first, we have a little announcement!

Melinda has had to step down as a judge this season and we thank her for her hard work on the seventh season and she will always be a part of The X Factor Family! <3

In her replacement... We're going back... Way back to the beginning!

After a 4 season long hiatus, Carly Jay is back on the panel taking her rightful seat beside Tommy as one of the original debuting judging lineup!

Tommy, Carly Jay, Chris, Drake and Aili James will continue to take on Season Eight! *claps*

Now let the penultimate episode of The Auditions continue...
1913 days ago
TommyD
01. Boyce Avenue "Happier" (Brandonh1)

Aili James:
*claps* Firstly, I am so glad that you're back! When Nehemiah sent you home back in Season 6 I was so sad. So I am over the moon that you're back! You just proved what a great vocalist you are and I definitely want to see you in the live shows.

Carly Jay:
What I like about this cover is that you made it your own. Honestly, I felt like you were holding back a bit but I think you have the ability to make it far this season.

Drake:
Okay I'm so glad you guys decided to come back after the crime that Neme committed when he let you guys go back in the Six Chair Challenge. This performance has probably one of the best I have heard from you guys during, because I could actually hear the hurt in your voice and it was just honestly drenched in emotion that I completely lost my mind for a second and completely forgot I was judging this as a performance which takes a very special performance to make me do that. I really hope this time you make it further than you did because I think you guys can really go far in this competition, I also think I would see more of a group and not just a single singer but that's just a personal preference, good job here guys.

Tommy:
I absolutely loved this, you have such a lovely tone and I loved your voice against that guitar, it was beautiful and I want to hear more of it! I think you have to give a bit more of a punch if you are going to stand out in the upcoming stages, but for now. This is good.

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - YES
Tommy - YES

Boyce Avenue, you are through to the next stage of the competition! Congratulations! *claps*
1913 days ago
Rubes
WOOO CARLY!
1913 days ago
Jameslu
Here!
1913 days ago
TommyD
02. Macklemore "Same Love" (DrG2)

Aili James:
I feel like the message behind this song is so powerful and beautiful and it instantly got me into it. Now I worry whether the judges would like you too because you are a rapper but one that I can root for.

Carly Jay:
This song speaks to what we need most in this world and that's love. You sang truth and if I was judging just on that it my vote would be different. However, this felt a bit lackluster and the chorus vocals sounded off.

Drake:
If I'm feeling honest I like you for being unique as a hip hop artist and being outside the box from what we're used to here at the X Factor. Thing is I just don't feel that fire and soul I've seen in other hip hop artists that have auditioned here on the X Factor specifically the Fugees. It seemed like your body energy and your voice was different and it just felt really disconnected from the words you were singing. I just don't see that passion that it takes to truly be here on the X Factor, I know the song's message is a strong one however it didn't seem like you were truly singing it and you were just performing the song because you know it's popular. I'm sorry I just didn't really enjoy this.

Tommy:
Although I am not a huge fan of the genre, I can appreciate that this was of a level of good, I love the message, it's completely believable too! I feel like you could make rap accessible on this show and I would like to see more from you in all honesty.

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - NO
Drake - NO
Tommy - YES

Unfortunately Macklemore, you have not got a majority vote and will not be advancing. Thank you for auditioning with us! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
03. Joshua Ledet "When A Man Loves A Woman" (DrG2)

Aili James:
YES YES YES YES! Boy you're good! Although you do the same thing as Ada Vox, with overdoing the "HAHS" like gosh it irritates me. You kinda remind me of Chris Blue, but a better version xxx

Carly Jay:
There is no denying you have pipes! You took us to church and that's all well and good. I just think you can still convey the message of the song and your vocal ability by easing up on the theatrics.

Drake:
Jeez are all the Season 5 boys coming back? Probably one of my biggest mentor regrets was letting you go back in the three chair challenge because you have such a very powerful and beautiful voice that has a soul and passion behind it. This performance is no exception because you were having full energy and emotion behind it and I was just honestly amazed, however there is room for critique, I think that would be the song might have been a little too difficult for you since it seemed like you were just forcing out those last notes and it just didn't sound or look right. I appreciate the risk because you do have a voice but sometimes certain songs just aren't made for voices like yours and this one seemed a bit forced but overall good job Joshua!

Tommy:
Well done! I loved it when you were like hold on, I'm just going to take this jacket off, pick up this mic and SIIIINNGGG! And you did that! I would say to be careful you do not overuse your adlibs, but I was a fan tonight. Good job!

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - YES
Tommy - YES

Joshua Ledet you are making it through to the next stage! Well done! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
04. Miley Cyrus "Summertime Sadness" (DrG2)

Aili James:
*stands and claps* DESTINY HOPE CYRUS AKA MILEY RAY CYRUS! You are what I have been waiting for all these years! My god, my early favorite! And I'll make that known. I really would love the girls because you got something special and could be a winner.

Carly Jay:
Look I'm going to be honest. You have a good voice, but Lana Del Rey is not the kind of artist you should cover as it boxes in your vocals. This felt boring and genuinely sad.

Drake:
Okay my biggest issue here is that you have the background singers kinda overpowering you a bit. You know my opinion on background singers, and I honestly don't think you needed those background singers because it took away from the performance. Like when you were singing alone it really made you shine alone because you knew that you were the one being judged the most on those parts, and so you brought the emotion and power during those points. With the background singers you kinda pulled back because you know you weren't the only one being judged. Overall though I am impressed with what you were bringing to us, and I can't wait to see what else you deliver since you are very much a wildcard artist I like to say.

Tommy:
I'm on the fence about this performance because I don't think it excelled as much as you potentially could have tonight. It was all a little one-level and I get that this is the song, which you know, I do love, but has to be incredible to really get us. However, there was a moment in your middle 8 where I noticed a blink of potential and I believe that is your saving grace tonight. I think you're going to have to BRING it in the next round providing you make it tonight.

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - NO
Drake - YES
Tommy - YES

With 3 YES votes, Miley Cyrus - you are through to the next stage of the competition! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
05. GAC "Perfect" (DrG2)

Aili James:
*claps* OKAY BUT WHY ARE THE GROUPS SO STRONG THIS YEAR?! Last season we had a group winner. And I can see that we may have another group winner this season! YOU GUYS WERE GREAT!

Carly Jay:
This was such a beautiful vocal and I loved the arrangement. It was simple which allowed your voices to shine through. I hope my fellow judges agree and we see  you move on to the next round.

Drake:
Okay you guys started off slow during the first verse however when you hit the chorus I was honestly amazed of your harmonies and the girl on the right it just was really well done. I also saw improvement in the guy that isn't Kurt, who really got into the song on the second verse. In honestly you guys have the connection and the blend I look for in groups. There is some room for improvement but overall I am majorly impressed by how you guys were able to balance your voice out perfectly to make this "perfect" (pun intended) song. It was a perfect audition but good job with what you delivered and you should be proud because I have high hopes for you in the future.

Tommy:
"*claps*
I thought this was cool, this was beautiful and just had a level of where I think we need to be for season number eight. You've got a certain style about you and a great fusion of different musical elements that I believe make you appealing. great job guys! "

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - YES
Tommy - YES

GAC, you are through to the Six Chair Challenge! Congratulations! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
06. David Archuleta "The Greatest Showman Medley" (omggiraffe)

Aili James:
At first I did feel like the drummer was a bit overpowering but damn this got real good real fast! What I liked most about this performance was that by doing a medley you really were able to show us the different dimensions of your voice and thats what makes this audition great! I have to say Rewrite The Stars was my favorite part of this song, stick to songs like that!

Carly Jay:
Personally, I'm not a fan of audience-shot videos. However, I really loved your take on The Greatest Showman songs. Your vocals weren't always clear, but for the most part this showed you being an artist.

Drake:
Okay so the background band was very overbearing if I'm being honest here, and honestly A Million Dreams was very sub-par to what I was expecting. However when you shifted into This Is Me I could tell the emotion and it just started building from there. My favorite part was Rewrite The Stars as you really showed you potential, as you were singing in the falsetto while also having the emotion and power behind it, but I have to be honest you needed to really start of the start instead of waiting until the last portion of the song to really amaze us because I was bored when you hit the climax of the song I'd like the call it. Also you need to fix you backing band issue however I'm curious as to what else you will bring to the table to good luck David.

Tommy:
The background music really swallowed your vocals in this so it is quite a hard audition to judge. I feel like the first song was a little bit of a write off and parts of the second and third were just hard to listen to. There were moments that proved you have a really good vocal, but overall there was just something not completely right for me.

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - YES
Tommy - NO

David Archuleta, with 3 VOTES you are through to the next stage of the competition! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
07. Ariana Grande "Imagine" (omggiraffe)

Aili James:
*stands and claps* Yes ARIANA IMAGINE A WORLD LIKE THAT! I feel this may definitely be YOUR season. Come through with more songs like this and you could definitely be a winner baby!

Carly Jay:
Overall I felt this was a solid audition as it showed off clear vocals. I do think you could give stronger performances that connects fully with the audience. I don't think you came alive until the very end.

Drake:
Okay do you like audition every season? Like this is the third time you have auditioned and I wouldn't say I'm bored of your performances but how many times do I have to see the same video over and over until it gets old, that's my dilemma here. Overall this performance was okay, it was nothing really to impress me by. It just sounded like you were tired, and even those vocal whistles sounded a bit tired as well even if they were very impressive. Maybe this is your season  to take the competition by storm, but honestly I'm not really sure if this performance was your audition I'm sorry.

Tommy:
Ariana has had a few tries at this, but I honestly believe that this was the best audition from her to date. It was not too much, it offered a great variety of ranges and really showed you off in a positive light. Well done!

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - NO
Tommy - YES

Ariana Grande, you have 3 YES votes! Congratulations, you are through! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
08. Amanda Brown "At Last" (omggiraffe)

Aili James:
*standing ovation* *throws shoes* You sing with such grace and poise and I living for it honey! NOW I WANT THE OVERS BECAUSE YOU ARE A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH. That voice is truly so powerful and Etta would be proud.

Carly Jay:
*Standing Ovation* Now this is an audition! Wow your vocals are so strong and powerful. What I loved most was how effortless it looked for you. Truly, I hope you make it to the next round.

Drake:
Oh jesus heck okay you really know how to bring soul to the stage let me tell you, that first note really snapped my attention to you, and you honestly just brought everything but the kitchen sink to this without making it seem too much. I do say that the band seemed a bit overbearing at some points in the song, but I'm honestly amazed at your pipes and just I really have nothing to say because this performance was so good that you left me speechless, just good job and stop being so good for fuck sake.

Tommy:
"*stands and claps on the first notes*
WOW! You honestly had me hooked right away at that opening and you just got better and better! Absolutely phenomenal and I think it's lovely to see someone represent the older side of the overs more! Well done! "

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - YES
Tommy - YES

Through to the next stage, it's Amanda Brown! *claps*
1913 days ago
hellocat
CARLY JAY YAY
1913 days ago
TommyD
09. 5 Seconds of Summer "Young Blood" (omggiraffe)

Aili James:
*claps* OKAY SERIOUSLY THE GROUPS ARE SO STRONG THIS SEASON! Like normally I have a specific category I want, but this season I can truly say any category would be good! Because the talent this year is THAT GOOD!

Carly Jay:
Vocals were a bit shaky, but I think you guys did a stronger job once the chorus hit. I'm not a fan of this slowed down version of the song though. I don't think it fits your style.

Drake:
Okay so I really didn't enjoy this performance if I'm being completely honest here, and sorry for being blunt but it honestly sounded like all of you were high trying to sing this song at like a karaoke event. It just wasn't enjoyable for me it just too relaxed and not enough punch to really get me going. Plus vocally there wasn't anything to grasp at either, there wasn't really any good harmonies from you guys, there wasn't a change in anything in the song, and the song itself was just repetitive and boring. I'm sorry guys I just wasn't impressed by this performance and don't think you should move on.

Tommy:
I thought I would like this a lot more, I really did, but I don't think it really got off the ground throughout the audition and that's such a shame. You had some really nice moments, but overall I was not completely sold.

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - NO
Drake - NO
Tommy - NO

5 Seconds of Summer, unfortunately - you have not made it tonight. Thank you for competing and auditioning! *claps*
1913 days ago
TommyD
10. James Arthur "Hometown Glory (hazbez94)

Aili James:
*claps* YES YES YES! I REALLY LIKE THIS ADELE SONG! And boy you sang this great and your voice has so much emotion and power in it! I really like that the most, could see you doing really well with the right judge aka ME.

Carly Jay:
You took this song and put your own spin on it, which is great. However, I feel like you have more potential than was was displayed here.

Drake:
I think your voice is very rustic and unique, however I'm unsure about this performance. Like I could here you actually trying to bring up a really good performance but I don't think you got there completely. Like the emotion is there but I just didn't feel the song truly taking over you in this performance if that makes sense. I don't know maybe this is just 2 AM me being delusional but it was a really good first impression for auditions wise and I'm willing to hear more from you in the near future so good job on this performance and I can't wait to see more from you.

Tommy:
"*claps*
I absolutely loved this cover of such an incredible song! You completely changed it and it was damn good which is credit to you! That drop was IN CRED A BLE! Well done James! Well done! *claps*"

#JudgesVerdict
Aili James - YES
Carly Jay - YES
Drake - YES
Tommy - YES

James Arthur you are through to the next stage! *claps*
1913 days ago
Jameslu
me @ 5 seconds of summer going home, highkey shook.
1913 days ago
hellocat
So many people saying no

open group

The X Factor Series

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!