This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Performance Show 5: Inspiration and Britney Spears

Topic » Performance Show 5:..

4258 days 14 hours ago
funnylookinkid
Hi guys! Excited to be judging. I hope I'm not being too harsh, but I'm trying to be as constructive as possible! Please let me know if I crossed a line =)

"Songs that Inspire"

[Wonderland] - You did justice to the song. I think your diction could be more precise -- I didn't understand at all times the words that you were singing. There were also some pitch problems when you hit your upper register, but I think you recovered from them well. Otherwise, the vocal was on point. Your lower register is smooth like butter. Different enough from Miley's original to make me look at it in a new and interesting way, and I think any artist that can do that with a popular song has done their job.

[GurlBai] - Let me start out by saying that I LOVE Yolanda Adams. You have a fabulously raspy and bluesy voice -- for me, the transition from the first verse into the first chorus was the roughest part of the song for you. You picked an extremely difficult song to cover, given that the original is near perfect, but you did well with it. Your vibrato is out of control; I think there is something to be said with a simple vocal, but as you said in your reasoning, Yolanda's original is nowhere near simple :P. Well done.

[Maxiphone27] - Ughhhh loves The Beatles. I have to first start off by saying that I hate this background track, it sounds so off from the original, a little more "carnivale." This song always makes me smile whenever I hear it. Some of your notes were flat. I think what's great about the original is that it requires very little effort to pull off a cover it -- and I think that's where you went wrong. Too much with an original... it sounded too far off what I'm used to. Perhaps that's a bias, but I can't help comparing this to The Beatles... that said, not a bad job.

[RJ18] - Donna Summer circa Disco is really hard to pull off. You struggled during the climb of the song. I think you improved as you got into the first verse and stayed the same throughout the rest of it. I tried to picture you singing this in your living room -- and to me, it didn't sound like you had that much fun with it. I was lovin' your falsetto -- probably the best part of the song. You did as well as I would imagine a young man could do with a Donna Summer song.

[FlameOnX] - I saw your reasoning under your description, but I'm puzzled why you chose to do an a cappella song. I feel like at this part of the competition, you need to do something to make yourself stand out in a good way from the rest of the competitors... I'm not entirely sure you succeeded in doing that here. A good cover of the song, I definitely felt the emotion coming from it and I could listen to this a couple of times over again.

[TolisKalkas] - I know from personal experience how hard it is to cover a Buble song. He has a certain quality to his voice that is nearly impossible to match -- it's like modern Frank Sinatra. I think you did well with the song, but I'm not entirely sure that you sang it in the correct octave for your voice -- either that, or the song was out of your "comfort zone." If it was out of your comfort zone, I commend you for taking a risk. I was missing the relaxed quality that Buble often oozes from his songs -- it's effortless when I listen to him. I could tell from listening to you that you were straining your voice a little bit. My favorite part was when you hit the notes in your upper register toward the jazzy interlude. But then you completely missed the same notes with the outro :\ Not a bad job.

[Akron] - I think the quality of the track really detracts from your performance. Once I got past that, I actually really, really enjoyed the performance. I tend to agree with John when he says you struggled a bit with the notes -- the problem with the song is that a majority of it fell within your upper register, and I don't think you're entirely comfortable singing there. I get that in the chorus you were trying to &qu
4258 days 14 hours ago
funnylookinkid
"sing along" with the backtrack, but it sounded weird. Good job though. I'm unfamiliar with the original to this song, and I can say this was pretty good.
1.Wonderland
2. GurlBai
3. Akron
4. TolisKalkas
5. FlameOnX
6. RJ18
7. Maxiphone27

"It's Britney Bitch!"

[Wonderland] - What a bizarre song choice! There are many great Britney tracks, and I admire your ballsiness (is that a word?) for going with one of her songs that falls more into the "dance" genre than anything.  I think the main issue with this song is that most of it is more spoken than it is sung, save for the chorus. That said, the parts that you did sing, I think you might have been a little affected... or oversang it a bit. The song is already glitzy enough, I think you should have just done a straight forward cover of it. Also a bit of a slip up at the end, but that makes you human! You clearly have an incredible set of pipes -- I just think some restraint would help you a lot.

[GurlBai] - Great song. I'm glad that you chose to sing a song of Britney's that really highlights your voice. You have a really good voice. Your imperfections showed in this song, but I think that's what made the song so great. I hate to say it, but the lyrics of this song are what make it -- it's not really a melodic powerhouse. You definitely did it justice and I can tell you put your own style into it. Very enjoyable.

[Maxiphone27] - I gotta admit, you had me bopping my head a little bit here. Hats off for choosing a pretty difficult song to sing - that said, your introduction was a little off key and parts of each of your chorus were off key as well. You had some problem transitioning your voice within your register. I enjoyed it though.

[RJ18] - I was glad someone chose to do Toxic -- but then I heard the track and my eyes widened with horror. I think this song lends itself more to being creepy (eg; Yael Naim) than it does being Broadway. This sounds more like a cabaret version of the song than anything. Overall a pretty good job but I have to admit I was a little uncomfortable listening to it; I'm definitely not used to this version and the style you performed it in, but I can't fault you for style. Your vocals were good.
4258 days 14 hours ago
funnylookinkid
[FlameOnX] - YES DEREK. I love that you chose this song! Britney's original hit is so widely recognizable by the world that before listening I wanted you to give the song a little "umph." Make it pop a little. I have to say I was missing that in this performance. You need to have fun with a song like this! You're singing a song to your lover that you want back! Convey that emotion! And, "I've got to know now WHAT WE'VE GOT" I think are the words, just fyi haha.
[TolisKalkas] - A well sung ballad. I think you struggled again with the notes that fell in your upper register -- you sort of went off pitch at the close of a lot of the lines of the verses. I also feel like you completely switched octaves midway through the song - but maybe I'm just crazy. Nice job.
[Akron] - The fuzz in your song gave me an aneurism again =(. I have the same problem with your vocal that I did with Derek's -- I felt no emotion. It's almost like you were just singing it because you HAD to choose a Britney song and didn't feel like looking for any other song (maybe that's how it happened?) You struggled in a lot of parts of the song, seemed like it was way out of range for you. I think this could have been successful if you switched around some of the song, but you kept exactly to the original and I think that hurt you a bit.

1. GurlBai
2. TolisKalkas
3. Wonderland
4. RJ18
5. FlameOnX
6. Maxiphone27
7. Akron
4258 days 5 hours ago
Kellyt210
Songs That Inspire:

Wonderland - I think you did a really good job with this, although the song had some similarities to the original you change some parts and made it your own. I felt like you put a lot of emotion into the song. There were some parts where I felt like you went out of tune and some of the high notes were a little shaky but overall it was a great performance, you stepped it up from last week!

Gurlbai -  I think this was an amazing performance. I think your mic quality really ruins it for me. I don't think you overdid anything this week, but i do think you went a little off tune in some bits. You seemed to really enjoy this and so did i. Well done!

Maxiphone - This wasn't my favourite performance from you. You did seem to enjoy it but I found some bits were a bit shaky and off tune especially when you hit the high notes. In my opinion you did an okay job, I want to see you really push yourself!

RJ - I think you have a real show voice, I love it! You always much so much energy into your performances. I think in some bits you went a little off tune and struggled a tiny bit. The high notes were a little off, but I think you did a great, i really love how much effort we get from you!

Flameonx - I love your voice a lot and I love this song a lot too. I would of liked to hear a bit of backing music, but think you did a super job. I really can't pick much fault with this performance. You didn't give a reason as to why this song inspires you, and i didn't really feel the connection. Vocals were great though. Well done!

TolisKalkas - As you already know, i love Michael Buble alot! I think you did a great job with this song, you put a lot of emotion into it. I did feel like there was a couple of flat and shaky notes, but overall you put a lot of effort into this song, well done!

Akron -  Every time I listen to your performances there is this awful noise that cuts you out, not sure if it's your mic. Anyway onto the performance. You have a really unique voice and I really enjoy listening to you but I felt you really struggled on the high notes in this song. I think ive definately heard better from you. Well done though!

1 - Gurlbai
2 - Wonderland
3 - Flameonx
4 - Toliskalkas
5 - RJ
6 - Maxiphone
7 - Akron
4258 days 4 hours ago
Kellyt210
It's Britney Bitch! -

Wonderland - I didn't think this was as good as your inspiration performance. I felt like you struggled in some parts of the songs. There were a lot of parts where you missed out words or only sung half of words and I feel like this really impacted on the performance for me. It was an okay performance, wrong song choice in my opinion.

Gurlbai -  Mic!! Ugh. I think this was a perfect song choice for you. You did a great job with this song, i feel like you put a lot of emotion into it and you controlled your voice really well. Great job!

Maxiphone - I think you got off to a really bumpy start. Still not a great performance in my opinion. I think you did well in some parts but I feel like you went very off tune in a lot of parts and struggled with a lot of notes. I've heard a lot better from you, hopefully next week if you're still here you can step it up! Just didn't cut it for me.

RJ - I really enjoyed this performance, well done! I think you really pulled it off and i saw a different side to your performing. I felt like you again put a lot of effort into it and changed it a little to suit your voice, well done. Few shaky notes but overall great perfomance!

Flameonx - I think you did a really good job with this song actually. It made me laugh when you let the Britney backing ground person sing the high high notes, haha you did the right thing though. I think you could of put a little more emotion into this song but overall you did a great job, well done!

TolisKalkas -  I liked this actually, you have a really nice voice and you definitely put emotion into the song. I felt like there was some bits that were rather shaky and off tune. Overall you did a nice job with the vocals, well done!

Akron -  Hmm i don't know if this was the best choice for you. I think you did a good job, but you did seem to struggle with some bits. Especially the high notes, I felt like they were out of tune. Overall you did a nice job, not the best performance ive heard from you.

Rankings -

1- Gurbai
2 - RJ
3 - Flamexon
4 - Tolis
5 - Akron
6 - Wonderland
7 - Maxiphone

My rankings are based on my personal opinions so like the others said, sorry if you expected to be higher, you're all really good and its pretty difficult.
4258 days 3 hours ago
ZakAustin
Ill also be dropping out of the competition. The slow pace of the season has caused me to lose interest and quickly as I have other things I'd rather focus my time on. Thanks for the opportunity. And good luck to the other contestants. Hopefully someone deserving wins it all :)
4257 days 22 hours ago
RJ18
Thanks for the judges so far! I've been doing questionably this entire season but I really do give my best that I can every week, and hopefully I can still keep on getting better :)

Bye zak :( you were PHENOMENAMAZING!!!
4257 days 19 hours ago
maxiphone27
ok, if i do end up polling (which it looks like i'm going to), just vote me out (or eliminate me without a poll). I was kind of hoping this would be over before i had to go back to school, but now that i do i will have like NO time to record (kind of like what happened in my original season.) I'm simply just too busy to create quality recordings, as you have seen by my submissions this week (they were kind of rushed bc i had other school related stuff in the way). it was fun singing with (or against, technically) you all and you all are really good singers :) gl everyone!
4257 days 18 hours ago
GurlBai
Urgh zak :(((

And with what maxiphone is saying, I thought this would be over before college started too, I go back to college in like approx. 2 weeks. Idk krisbliss maybe if you fill out all of the themes then maybe i can try to record a song for the remainder of the themes and submit all of them to you because when I go back to college there is NO WAY I'm gonna find time to record anything :(( I just wish this season would have started earlier or just was more organized, but krisbliss it isn't your fault
4255 days 14 hours ago
krisbliss
Round 1:

1.  Wonderland:  I quite enjoyed this performance. You could really feel the emotion you put into it. Very nice overall.

2.  GurlBai - I thought this was a good performance. Your voice always sounds nice, and you could tell that you enjoyed performing this song.

3.  maxiphone - I liked this performance. I don't think it was your most exciting or best one, but it was decent.

4.  RJ -  I thought you could tell you really had fun with this song. Your voice has a real entertaining quality to it, and I liked listening to you cover this song.

5.  FlameonX - I really liked this!! Great job with taking a risk and doing it a cappella.  Well done.

6.  Tolis - This was nice! I love the passion you put into the song. I think this type of song is good for your voice, and it was pleasant to listen to. 

7.  Akron -  I liked how your voice sounded in this song. It was nice and calming. I wish there wasn't so much background noise though. It distracted from your vocals just a bit.

Rankings:
1. Wonderland
2. FlameonX
3. TolisKalkas
4. GurlBai
5. Akron
6. RJ
7. maxiphone

Britney:

1. Wonderland:  I actually enjoyed this performance. I thought it was fun and entertaining. Your voice sounded good, and I really like hearing you do more upbeat sounding songs.

2. GurlBai:  This wasn't my favorite performance from you even though it was still decent. It just didn't blow me away, but you still did well.

3.  maxiphone:  This wasn't my absolute favorite performance from you, but I did enjoy the chorus and a few other parts.

4.  RJ:  I love this song, and it was nice that you tried to do something different with it. I thought you did a pretty decent job overall.

5. FlameonX:  I liked this performance! In parts, I thought you could have maybe given a little more emotion, but you did a nice job.

6. Tolis:  This was a nice choice. It wasn't perfect, but I think you had several nice moments, and I liked the performance as a whole. Good job.

7.  Akron:  I don't think this song choice was the best one for you. I don't think it really complemented your voice all that well. It had some nice parts to it, but I know you can sound better.

Rankings:
1. FlameonX
2. Wonderland
3. TolisKalkas
4. GurlBai
5. RJ
6. maxiphone
7. Akron

open group

Tengaged Idol (Karaoke): All-Stars

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!