This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

TSC 408 Final

Topic » TSC 408 Final

1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
15) Lisa Børud - 'Me Without U'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
16) GRRRL PRTY x BIONIK - 'Can I Live (feat. Velvet Negroni)'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
17) Anna Straker - 'Sweat'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
18) Ayoni - 'Unmoved (A Black Woman's Truth)'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
19) Ellysse Mason - 'I Don't Wanna Dance'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
20) IOLITE - 'Lonely Bodies'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
21) DITA - 'Strut'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
22) Gia Farrell - 'Rhythm and Sex'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
23) R.O.E. - 'I Like'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
24) chloe mk - 'Cosmic'
1323 days 1 hour ago
Eoin
That concludes the grand final!

Please post your comments and send me your votes via PM by 8pm BST/3pm EST on Sunday. The results will follow shortly after.

Good luck!
1323 days ago
QueenM1chelle
01) Matilda Pearl - ONA : The production is good but she's trying way to hard to be edgy and that is irritating to me. It could have been decent with a different singer.
02) Greya - ONA : This was going well until that chorus, it just did my head in and gave me a headache. I thought a second listen would make it more enjoyable but it just annoyed me more. The only good part was her voice after the chorus where she had passion in her voice.
03) Paige Cavell - ON : I really love this low budget queen. She replied to me on Twitter before <3 she's so good. This song is a banger imo, her last production in TSC slayed as well.
04) Loviet - ON : I can't stress to you enough how GOOD this song is. The first listen is just good, but as you keep playing it you get hooked, and that's what happened to me. This is probably going to end up being one of my favourite songs of the entire year, and it's my winner prediction if TSC gets something right.
05) KilliT - ONA : I cannot believe my eyes, this really qualified. I love ya Bibbles, but this grated on me. It's just not the type of song I gravitate towards.
06) GRANT - ON : I'm not even crazy about this but it did outsell the really BAD songs. I think it's decent, and that's enough in this week tbh. Her voice is pretty, it hasn't fully grown on me yet but, yeah it's decent.
07) Isac Elliot - ONA : I didn't mind this on the first listen, but listening to it more & more, it's just very average and my opinion on it is deteriorating. It's been done way better before.
08) Genelle - ON : Omg, a crossover from my Discover Weekly from a few weeks back, LOL. I remember listening to this and thinking that it's not good enough for TSC, but tbh listening to it again I'm enjoying it more.
09) Anja Kotar - ON : Another bop! This was really fun. I liked the message behind it, and she's slaying infront of that pop beat. The last 30 seconds was my favourite.
10) Fenech Soler - ON : I didn't like this very much the first time, but in the context of the final I am enjoying it more. I think it's a grower, well it definitely is because I'm actually liking it now.
11) The Ella Sisters - ON : There's nothing groundbreaking here but it was a cute little tune with an enjoyable production. They should do well!
12) Mysie - ON : This is kinda slaying me... I LOVE her voice, it's mesmerizing. It was different from a lot of the songs so far and I liked that. Knew she would qualify!
13) LULLANAS - ONA : They are officially "DULLANAS" because this was so boring... I don't like this one note country stuff, it's never that good and always the same.
14) Meiju Suvas - ON : I just feel like this slayed so much in this final and in the semi, she was bringing the flavour and I'm glad she made it with this bop.
15) Lisa Børud - ON : Omg yesss Dagny Lite pop off <3333. It's such a basic banger that I love, it couldn't get more basic but I really stan it.
16) GRRRL PRTY x BIONIK - ON : LMFAOOO WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?! Such a MESS. I'm kind of stanning it, but it's also kind of horrible bc of the man so idk.
17) Anna Straker - ONA : Surprise, another song that I don't like :xx, I thought I'd like it more for the mess but once again it's doing my head in.
18) Ayoni - ON : I loved the message behind this song, I think it could've been executed better but I'm not judging it too much cause I actually kinda like it, unlike many songs in this final.
19) Ellysse Mason - ONA : It's another "cute" moment that I don't have much interest in. There's so much songs just like this this week, and I'm exhausted.
20) IOLITE - ON : I wasn't too keen on this first time around, but I've warmed to it and now I'm bopping to it. I love how she says the bodies bit. It's good!
21) DITA - ONA : This song actually FRUSTRATED me. It's literally Demi Lovato - Confident but the under 25k bad version. It even says Confidence on the picture LMAOOOO.
22) Gia Farrell - ON : This was SO needed this week LMFAO. We needed something messy and iconic at the same time. It's a trainwreck that I loved.
23) R.O.E. - ON : How did this qualify omg? This type of music never qualifies, and I'm always upset that they NQ. I LOVED this. TSC finally did something right.
24) chloe mk - ONA : I just think this is horrible. That sound in the background is really annoying & distracting ... what was the need? She's definitely got better, that's for sure.
1322 days 18 hours ago
dragotistic
Matilda Pearl - One of the better songs in the semi for me. I wish the chorus was a little more but I’m not upset at all.

Greya - Wasn’t a fan of this in the semi. I still feel like this pretty edgy and I’m just not a for it.

Paige Cavell - This fits the trend of recent winners but I needed more from this to be considered a contender for me.

Loviet - This is a song that I had to listen to again after finishing. And then again. It’s pretty addictive and I like it.

KilliT - I was surprised this qualified but I’m not really upset by it. Great instrumental, definitely better on this listen than in the semi.

GRANT - Really enjoyed the use of strings throughout the song but it doesn’t click for me until the last 30 or so seconds when it builds into the last chorus.

Isac Elliot - The use of the synths in this song is 10/10. I wish the song was at that level, but this was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Genelle - Another song where I enjoyed the use of strings. This is definitely disco-inspired, and it was really easy to enjoy.

Anja Kotar - She has a great voice but the song went in a weird direction at the chorus and it lost me there.

Fenech-Soler - On a second listen here, this song definitely is grooving more for me. I’m not in love with it but it is something I enjoyed.

The Ella Sisters - This had a promising start but didn’t capitalize on that start for me.

Mysie - holy f*ck where did this come from?? This is solid all the way around. Strongest entry so far.

LULLANAS - I didn’t hate it but I honestly can’t say I felt anything in this 3:35 song.

Meiju Suvas - This is so incredibly Eurovision and I enjoyed this.

Lisa Borud - Yeah, this is going to do just fine. It gets a little one-note close to the end but this was nice.

GRRRL PRTY x BIONIK - Lizzo before she was famous :O My college roommate ruined this type of music for me, he would blast trap music for hours at a time and I hated it.

Anna Straker - This had NO RIGHT to go as hard as it did. Good lord, what a good tune.

Ayoni - Beautiful song.

Ellysse Mason - This is pretty fantastic. She’s got a great voice and the song showcases it. Damn, I got make some tough choices with points this week.

IOLITE -         Have you ever been struck by lightning? That’s what listening to IOLITE’s electrifying dance-pop single “Lonely Bodies” feels like when you listen to it the first time. IOLITE is the stage name for Elina Odnoralov, who is 21 years old based on an interview she gave in 2018 where she said she was 19. Odnoralov is no stranger to adversity and isn’t afraid of tackling those concepts through musical expression. IOLITE’s “Lonely Bodies” is a fantastic example of a well-written pop tune in the recent music scene through her use of quick vocal rhythms imposed over a simple piano background, the story she tells with the lyrics, and how the listener responds to such a statement of music.
Odnoralov’s construction of the song lends itself well to not be overpowering. Often times, musical artists either overload the production and have to then overload the vocal track to make up for it. The same goes for the other way, producers try to “minimalize” the song down to open chords and simple quarter note and half note melodic lines that in a word are boring. Odnoralov’s construction of this song is a great example of those two ideas meeting in the middle. One could make the argument that the backing track used in “Lonely Bodies” has minimalistic values. There’s a lot of negative space in the music, which basically means there’s a lot of rests in the harmonic accompaniment. So your attention isn’t going to be split between the lyrics and the production of the song because the instrumental isn’t there to necessarily be heard, but to support the vocals and provide a harmonic outline for the song. The vocals, contrary to the instrumental, don't utilize negative space at all. The vocal is the driving rhythm of the song, which isn’t always the case. If the eighth note and sixteenth note rhythms weren’t being used in the vocals, and the instrumental stayed the same, you’d call this an extremely flaccid song. It wouldn’t feel like the song had any energy and Eoin would boot it and Brave would Ona it. Combining the melodic lines sung with the driving vocal rhythm makes for a sweet ear candy you just want to listen to again. And I’d know it because this song had been on my waiting list since TSC 399.
Odnoralov is a person who expresses her views on life and relationships through her music. In “Lonely Bodies”, she states multiple times “So raise a glass to the lonely bodies”, which can be taken in many ways. What is commonly conceived about this line is that Odnoralov herself is lonely and trying to fulfill herself through going out to bars and meeting new people. But if you dig a little deeper into the words, and read between the lines just a little bit, I think she is celebrating leaving a crappy partner who didn’t give a shit about her. She’s happy to be lonely because she isn’t being held back by someone who was dragging her down with them. Obviously, you can interpret a song differently from another person, that’s what makes us all unique. We can all appreciate music together and still respect how other people think about songs. “Lonely Bodies” is a must-listen pop anthem for any woman who has left a shitty man.
Lastly, I just want to discuss how the listener responds to such a well-constructed pop song. The beauty in the eye of the beholder is a very common saying that everyone has heard in their lives. And in music, there’s a similar concept at play. I said listening to “Lonely Bodies” is comparable to being struck by lightning (in a good way) in the beginning of this essay. A different listener might have a different opinion. But if you check the most valuable statistic there is in music, the YouTube likes/dislikes section. You can see on this submitted video that it has 35 likes to 1 dislike. I don’t know about you, but I think a 97.2% like rate is a little above average. So it’s safe to say that the audience response to “Lonely Bodies” is one of high acclaim. If you take a look at some recent winning entries in TSC, the like rate on the submitted YouTube video is around the same percentage, so Odnoralov’s song is comparable to TSC winners.
In conclusion, Elina Odnoralov’s song “Lonely Bodies” is easily one of the most interesting songs in this TSC edition and through all of my major points, can be seen as a fantastic pop tune in today’s musical culture. There will be no questions. Are there any questions?

DITA - This is a great entry and one I’m predicting to be in the top 5 of this week. Really enjoyed this in both the semi and now.

Gia Farrell - This wasn’t for me but I am happy to see it in the final.

R.O.E. - Definitely a nice R&B number, but I don’t know if it’ll be able to steal points away from me this week.

Chloe mk - Interesting note to end on. I’m not sold on the song as a whole but it wasn’t bad.
1322 days 8 hours ago
Alexeh23
01) Matilda Pearl – TOOT - Isolation videos fill me with existential fear. This was fun though, the hook is really pretty I enjoyed it a lot. The beats were cool, nice vocal, I don’t really have any complaints about this one. Not necessarily something I’m gonna come back to, but I enjoyed it.
02) Greya – BOOT – I just knew from the title All Hells Breaks Loose that this was gonna be the tamest whitest woman. I almost thought this was gonna be good until the drop hit but yeah this was only entertaining in a messy way. The random 3 seconds of dubstep sent me. If there are less than 10 toots this might get points just for entertainment value but musically this was not it.
03) Paige Cavell – BOOT – Predators & Monsters was really good so that set a really high bar. This on the other hand is on the messier/cheaper side of a Xenomania production. Ironically enjoyable and I mean it does bop but that doesn’t mean it’s good. Her voice is capable of a lot better.
04) Loviet – TOOT – This sound always appeals to me when it’s well executed and this is definitely done well. It’s not the most memorable melodically or anything but a very enjoyable listen. Cute find I like it, it builds really nicely too.
05) KilliT – BOOT – KilliT indeed.
06) GRANT – TOOT – I’m so annoyed at myself for not even checking if this was eligible for this week I really am. This is great, 100% my thing, a really cute folky pop song with great build. Could see it being a contender and good for you GRANT you deserve it hun. So prettyyyyy.
07) Isac Elliot – TOOT – Sneaky player sending this video instead of the lyric video to seem like even fewer views. I’ve had this song on my list since it’s been out though and it’s very solid. It’s an easy listen, love the synths. All around a strong pop song, not something I’m absolutely in love with or anything but it’s good.
08) Genelle – BOOT – Had this one on my list too but I don’t remember much about it. It’s like 75% on the way to being a good song, parts of it are good and the production is cool, but overall I’m just a bit unbothered about it. Fine but unexciting.
09) Anja Kotar – BOOT – This one’s just a bit of a headache really idk :/// Parts of it are good and there’s a lot of potential but other parts just feel like such an assault on the eardrum I just don’t enjoy listening to it. A shame.
10) Fenech Soler – BOOT – Much like Anja this had a lot of potential but ultimately turned into a headache. Some of the production choices were certainly choices, like there were too many different samples that didn’t work sonically. It’s a shame because there was a lot of potential, I like it a lot melodically, but the production really ruins it for me. Sad.
11) The Ella Sisters – BOOT – I just knew this song was Scandinavian. It’s definitely an under 25k views song, the kind of run-of-the-mill, slightly below average Sia ballad we see a lot of. Not something I’m going to remember by the end of the week, it’ll have its crowd but I’m just completely unbothered.
12) Mysie – TOOT – We’re FINALLY back to a good song. Her voice is absolutely stunning and this is a fantastic song. The instrumentation is fantastic and the way it builds is really really good. This definitely wouldn’t be out of place in a regular week, and should do well this week, it really stands out here.
13) LULLANAS – TOOT - This is so my thing but it rarely turns up in TSC so I never get to spill that. Sounds quite Gabrielle Aplin in her English Rain era which is just elite music. Melodically and instrumentally it’s so pretty, she’s got a lovely voice, yeah I loved basically everything about this. It won’t be for everyone but it’s definitely for me.
14) Meiju Suvas – TOOT – LMAO I don’t even care I stan this bop, the chorus has no business being as catchy as it is. She’s a queen and she did what she came here to do.
15) Lisa Børud – BOOT – Slightly better than I remember it being from the semis but still not really something I’m enthusiastic about. It feels a lot like a 25k view version of Dagny/CRJ which is a sound I usually enjoy but too many things about this grated for me. The chorus was a bit shit really sorry Lisa love.
16) GRRRL PRTY x BIONIK – TOOT - LMAO? The Nadine Coyle of the week imagine Lizzo being in under 25k week that’s kinda iconic. This didn’t really go off as much as I wanted it to but it did grow on me and I was entertained so I will toot it. Didn’t need the man but we’ll let it slide.
17) Anna Straker – TOOT – VERY Charli XCX which I’m not entirely sure how I feel about. It definitely goes off, the chorus is the stand-out part that bops. The verses are a bit MOR and nothingy but I did quite enjoy this song as a whole. It definitely verges on annoying, but it’s not bad at all.
18) Ayoni – BOOT – I just don’t think I’m in the mood for this right now, I wasn’t sure on it in the semis even though I love the vocal and the message, but otherwise I’m just a bit… bleh. Didn’t like it as much as I was expecting to even though I can recognise the quality in it. Not 2Day Ayoni sweetie I’m sorry.
19) Ellysse Mason – TOOT – Loooove her voice. I got contender vibes from the intro and the thumbnail, I wasn’t entirely sold on the actual song until the chorus but yep I love this. Fantastic find, the chorus is lovely, getting a bit of a synthier Winona Oak vibe from it which is high praise indeed. Gets better with every listen, I really like this.
20) IOLITE – BOOT - Have you ever been struck my lightning? That’s what listening to IOLITE’s dance-pop “Lonely Bodies” feels like when you listen to it for the first time because 100 lightning bolts strike the Earth’s surface every second (that’s about 8 million per day and 3 billion per year) and this song has absolutely no stand-out features. This lightning bolt, uploaded via MrGalaxy015’s YouTube channel to an audience of 26,000 subscribers while still managing to have under 5,000 views, struck in Nashville, and makes little impact.
The lyrical content of “Lonely Bodies”, recorded by Russian-American Elina Odnoralov, feels shallow and empty, with lines such as “I bet I could leave my heart somewhere in Tokyo and feel it beating still” bearing little significance to the apparent theme of loneliness that Odnoralov discusses later on in the repetitive chorus backed by tiresome tropical beats.
The song is so uninspiring that I have no desire to go further into its lyrical or musical content, nor do I wish to examine or analyse its commercial success because seven-time Tengaged Song Contest player, host and indisputable legend dragotistic is a lot better and commendably a lot more dedicated to the art of Tengaged Song Contest essay writing than I am, but there is a definite strong argument that one could put across that this song is below average, even in such poor company as Poundland Demi Lovato and SuperEdgyWhiteWomanGreya. Thank you for reading my essay.
21) DITA – BOOT – This is LITERALLY Confident by Demi it’s so funny. I’d take it in this week if it did literally anything different but this doesn’t do anything new it just feels derivative of that and any other Netflixpop song I did not care.
22) Gia Farrell – TOOT – LMAO this is funny. It’s actually not as bad as I thought it would be, I’m more into the pop-rock vibes than I was expecting to be honestly. Lyrically it’s quite iconic, I didn’t mind it. It’s fun.
23) R.O.E. – TOOT – I’m glad TSC decided to let this trap-infused R&B bullshit qualify. <3 This will always score well with me and I really liked this. It’s just really easy listening even when I’m not MASSIVELY in the mood for it. Smooth.
24) chloe mk – BOOT – Well this mediocre white woman is definitely not out of place I will give her that much! Nothing about this song really elicited any response of any kind, I didn’t hate it, I didn’t like it, it just existed and I was just really excited for it to be over.

open group

Tengaged Song Contest (Current)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!