This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

Challenge 15: The Finale!!!

Topic » Challenge 15: The Finale!!!

4288 days 6 hours ago
For your final challenge, all you have to do is prepare me a 3 course meal. An appetizer, a main course and a dessert. (tip: be very creative about this!) this either makes you or breaks you! gl final 3!
4288 days 6 hours ago
koolmanmadden
for my first course i made

Arugula Salad with Stuffed Salmon Balls

Smoked salmon lox slices are stuffed with sauteed flavored mushroom and garlic then formed into round balls and served with arugula salad or you could use fresh spinach.

Prep Time: 25 min
Total Time: 25 min
Servings: 1

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter
3 ounces Mushrooms, any type you like, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
3 plastic wrap squares, 5-inch x 5-inch
3 (2-inch squares) Smoked Salmon Lox slices
Olive Oil for garnish
Chives stems for garnish
Arugula or fresh Spinach leaves
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste

Instruction:

In a skillet over medium high heat sauté mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender and all liquid is absorbed; add salt and pepper; remove from heat to cool.

Lay plastic wrap on a flat surface, add smoked lox slices then a scant tablespoon mushroom mixture. Gather the 4 corners of plastic wrap together and twist to form a stuffed ball. Repeat this process making two more stuffed salmon lox. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

In a medium bowl toss arugula or spinach with a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Using tongs, mound arugula salad up high in center of individual plate. Remove plastic wrap from salmon balls, brush each with olive oil; place 3 balls on a plate. Garnish with chive stems; sprinkle plate with cracked pepper and serve with arugula salad.

MY MAIN COURSE IS

Rib Eye Steak

Prepare Rib Eye Steak with lots of cracked black pepper, secure with kitchen string and broil or grill over high heat

Ingredients:

2 (8 ounce) boneless Rib Eye steaks, 3/4 to 1-inch thick
Fresh Rosemary sprigs for garnish

Instruction:

Secure steaks with kitchen string forming them into an eye appealing round shape; season with salt and lots of cracked black pepper. Broil or grill over high heat for approximately 2 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove string, garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs and serve over rich au jus.

If desired, garnish the plate with a tomato rose and peeled 1-inch yam or sweet potato slice cut with a cookie cutter, or the shape of your choice (see my photograph) for a unique presentation. Gently boil potato slices in chicken broth just until tender; season with salt, pepper, butter and serve with steak. The tomato rose and cut potatoes can be prepared in advance.

MY DESSERT!

Ozark Pudding Recipe

This baked ozark pudding recipe of apples and nuts is delicious with a whipped cream topping. I like to serve it in martini glasses.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teasp. salt
3/4 cup sugar plus 1 teaspoon, divided
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
1 medium apple, peeled, finely chopped
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, toasted, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
Fresh mint sprigs

Instruction:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; Grease a 9x13 pan.

On a piece of wax paper, mix flour, baking powder and salt together. In a mixing bowl beat 3/4 cup sugar, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth; gradually add the dry ingredients blending well. Remove from mixer, fold in apples and nuts; pour into the prepared greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Dessert will rise then fall, don't be alarmed, this is normal.

Combine heavy cream with the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; whip to soft peaks. Spoon Ozark Pudding into martini glasses or dessert dishes; top with whipped cream; garnish with a mint sprig and serve warm or cold.

I REALLY HOPE YOU LOVE THIS!!!
4288 days 6 hours ago
Realchance
I wanted to make a very creative and unique final. For my Appetizer I am making a soup.

TURTLE SOUP

Ingredients
1 1/2 sticks butter
2 1/2 pounds turtle meat, cut into medium dice*
Salt and freshly cracked pepper
2 medium onions, cut into medium dice
6 stalks celery, cut into medium dice
30 cloves garlic, minced
3 bell peppers, cut into medium dice
1 tablespoon dried thyme, ground
1 tablespoon dried oregano, ground
4 bay leaves
2 quarts veal stock
1 cup all-purpose flour
26 ounces dry sherry (750-ml bottle)
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 large lemons, juiced
3 cups peeled, chopped, and seeded tomatoes
10 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, washed 3 times, and roughly chopped
6 medium hard-boiled eggs, chopped into large pieces
Directions
*Cook's Note: We use alligator snapping turtles, which are a farm-raised fresh water species available all year long. Turtle meat usually comes in 2 1/2-pound portions.

In a large soup pot over medium to high heat, melt 1/2 stick butter. Add turtle meat and brown. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Cook for about 18 to 20 minutes or until liquid is almost dry. Add onions, celery, garlic, and peppers, constantly stirring. Add thyme, oregano, and bay leaves and saute for about 22 minutes**. Add stock, bring to a boil, and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim any fat that comes to the top.

While stock is simmering, make the roux. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Slowly add flour, a little at a time, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to burn. After all of the flour has been added, cook until roux smells nutty, is pale in color, and has a consistency of wet sand, about 3 minutes. Set aside to let cool until soup is ready (roux should be cool when adding to hot soup).

Using a whisk, stir the roux into the stock vigorously, adding a little at a time to prevent lumping. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Stir to prevent sticking on bottom. Add sherry and bring to a boil. Add hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer and skim any fat or foam that comes to top. Add lemon juice and tomatoes and return to a simmer. Add spinach and eggs, return to a simmer and adjust seasoning.

For my Entree its also unique I am making a Asian dish.

Asian-Spiced Duck Breasts with Ginger-Chili Glaze

Ingredients
4 duck breasts, trimmed of excess fat
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Asian Spice Rub, recipe follows
Ginger-Garlic-Chile Glaze, recipe follows
1 bunch green onions, grilled
Flour tortillas, grilled or warmed through
Directions
Heat grill to medium-high. Score the skin-side of the duck with a knife in a lattice pattern, being sure not to cut through to the flesh. Season each breast with salt and pepper on both sides.

Rub the skin side of each breast with a few tablespoons of the rub and place on the grill, rub side down, and grill until slightly charred and the skin begins to get crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the breasts over, brush with some of the glaze and continue grill to medium-rare doneness, another 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the duck from the grill and brush with more of the glaze. Let rest for 5 minutes then slice 1/4-inch thick on the diagonal. Place the grilled green onions on a platter and top with the sliced duck breast. Serve with warm tortillas.

Asian Spice Rub:

2 tablespoons Spanish paprika

1 tablespoon dry mustard

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 teaspoons ground black pepper

2 teaspoons ground star anise

2 teaspoons ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.

Ginger-Garlic-Chili Glaze:

2 tablespoons peanut oil

2-inch piece ginger, finely chopped

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 tablespoons hot Asian chili paste, (recommended: Sambal Oelek)

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce

Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and
4288 days 5 hours ago
Realchance
cook until soft. Add the chili paste and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the honey and soy and cook until just combined and the honey has melted. Let cool before using.

For Dessert I wanted to bring it back to the states.

Alabama Mud Cake

Ingredients

1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice
1 (21 ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter, sliced
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
Pour pineapple with juice into prepared pan, spreading evenly to make the first layer. Spread cherry pie filling over the pineapple layer, then spread the cake mix over the cherry pie filling. Sprinkle the cake mix layer with pecans and mint chocolate chips, then distribute the sliced butter evenly over the top.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.
4288 days 5 hours ago
jman96
I am glad to make it to the finale and this was a great experence.

So for Apptizers I have is Curried Meatballs covered in the famous Pepperoni Sauce with Garlic Shrimp for sides.

Ingredents:

1/2 cup crushed herb-seasoned stuffing mix

1/3 cup evaporated milk

1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons curry powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 pound ground beef

A hand full of Pepperoni for the Sauce

hand full of garlic

4 pieces of shrimp

Directions

In a bowl thoroughly combine stuffing mix, evaporated milk, curry powder, and salt.

Add ground beef; mix well.

Shape meat mixture into 40 small balls.

Place in a large shallow baking pan.

Bake in 400°F oven for 15 minutes; drain.

Keep warm in chafing dish.

Make the Pepperoni Sauce

Season the Shrimp with Garlc after Grilling them

Poor the Pepporini Sauce on the Meatballs

Serve the dish

For entree I have  a Pork Belly with a Black Cod Cutlet, Bone Marrow,
Beets, Brussels Sprouts, and Kumquat

Black Cod:

8-ounce black cod filet (after being brined in an 8% salinity solution for an hour)

1/4 cup Panko bread crumbs, pulsed

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup egg wash with a touch of dijon mustard

2 tablespoons parsley, minced

1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced

1 tablespoon parmesan, grated

Butter or olive oil, for frying

Method:

1. Trim black cod filet to roughly eight ounce blocks and soak in water that has 8%
salinity for an hour. Rinse in cold water and dry on paper towels.

2. While the fish is drying, pulse the Panko bread crumbs and mix in the minced
herbs, garlic, and Parmesan.

3. Coat the fish in the egg wash and bread crumbs.

4. Pan fry in clarified butter or olive oil until just cooked. (Black cod is a fatty fish
so don’t be afraid to cook it as it has a nice window of perfection.)

5. Let the fish rest for a moment or two and then slice into medallions with an electric knife.

Candied Beets and Brussels Sprouts Leaves:

1 cup each Red and yellow beets, roasted and cut into batons

2 tablespoons Minus 8 Brix vinegar

1/2 cup Brussels sprout leaves, blanched

Method:

1. Warm roasted beets in a touch of the vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper.

2. Blanche leaves in salted water until bright green and shock in ice water. Warm in a touch of olive oil and salt and pepper.

Mustard Caviar:

1/4 cup mustard seeds

1/2 cup water

1/8 cup glucose

1/4 cup white vinegar

1 red Thai chili, minced

1 teaspoon turmeric

Method:

1. Toast mustard seeds and add remaining ingredients.

2. Cook until ingredients come together and reserve at room temperature

And Finally for Dessert I have a very delishous Fudgy Fudge Pie covered with Cran-Berry and Rasp-Berry Sauce.

Ingredents:

1 cup butter

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

Crain-Berries

Rasp-Berries

Directions:

1. Melt butter; add flour, cocoa and sugar.
2. Beat eggs with fork and mix with cocoa mixture.
3. Pour into greased 10-inch pie plate.
4. Bake about 30 minutes at 375 degrees or until crust begins to form on top.
5. Mix the Cran-Berries and Rasp-Berries into one sauce
6. Put the sauce on top of the pie

Ok thats my Menu. Enjoy it Everyone. Bye

open group

Top Chef!

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!