This site uses cookies. If you continue to browse the site, we shall assume that you accept the use of cookies.

ROUND 12: PENTATHLON

Topic » ROUND 12: PENTATHLON

821 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
We are FINALLY at our final 2!!! Congrats Jaxon and Delete2544 for making it this far.

You are both guaranteed to walk away with a prize but only one of you will take home $100 and the bragging rights of _KSMC!

For this final round, there will be FIVE songs that you must submit. The three judges and both finalists have picked their own theme for this final round. This round will work just how the other ones did. We will each rank your two songs for each theme and give them a 1 or 2. The three judges scores for your song for a given particular theme will be averaged together and the person who has the better average for the theme will win that theme. Basically, you need to beat the other person in 3/5 themes to win this round and the contest.

Here are your 5 themes:

•        Theme #1: Popera!

For this theme, you will be submitting a song that is under the operatic pop genre. That is defined by:
Operatic pop or popera is a subgenre of pop music that is performed in an operatic singing style or a song, theme or motif from classical music stylized as pop. The subgenre is often performed by classical crossover singers and acts, although that field is much broader in the types of music it encompasses.

•        Theme #2: Attached at the Hip

We want you to carefully listen to some songs and submit one with powerful lyrics that falls under one of the four attachment styles categories. We want the song to reflect someone with one of the styles, this can be the artist themselves or they can be singing about someone who has one.

Descriptions of attachment styles: https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.mindbodygreen.com/articles/attachment-theory-and-the-4-attachment-styles

With your submission, include a short explanation of which attachment style the song reflects and why.

•        Theme #3: Say YES to Drugs

That's right. We're throwing the slogan out the window and putting a spin on it. For this theme, we want you to submit a song that has some sort of reference to a drug whether directly or indirectly. It can be happy, sad, etc. but try to pick something with lots of emotion and depth. There is no limit on genre, artist, etc. and the title does not have to reference the drug itself. Just somewhere in the song, it has to mention directly or indirectly the drug of choice.

•        Theme #4: Underrated songs from artists with one hit wonders

For this theme, you must post a song from an artist who had a one hit wonder but not give us the one hit wonder song itself. Now, we aren't going to put a limit on what is considered a hit but if we haven't heard of the artist and you give us a song then we google that artist and see that they had 3 hits that made the billboard top 100, then that ain't counting. Use your imagination here!

•        Theme #5: Rock Music

Plain and simple. We want your best rock song no holds barred.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We aren't setting a time limit on this but try to get your submission in within the next few days. Make sure to CLEARLY state what theme each song you're submitting goes with. Jan will confirm but if anything is not relayed clearly to us, you are to blame not Jan so don't leave any room for confusion in your submission!

Good luck to you both <3
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ok wow. First, I want to thank yall for bearing with us through these difficult times. I had to fight tooth and nail over this past month to make sure we acquired funding to have and produce the finale.

This was a VERY close finale. All the judges had certain categories where the submissions were almost identical but ultimately, one of you got the lucky break which is all you need sometimes.

Not wasting anymore time so we will just go straight down the themes!
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Theme #1: Popera!
787 days 4 hours ago
Jaxon
Wow, I cant believe christian didnt donate to funding.
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 2/2 with Somewhere by Katherine Jenkins...DELETE2544!

Christian:
-LMAO I feel like this is the go to popera song tbh, it really is a classic and it's always interesting to see how each artist takes on this song! I'm not sure if this would be my favorite cover of the song (if you had submitted the Jackie Evancho cover I think you would've locked in my 1 tbh), as the ending is a little...LOUD and ROUGH. That said, it's still an amazing cover and you did very well on this! Good luck! (2/2)

Kellen:
I mean... girl took like a whole ass minute to start singing. I'm asleep. Her voice is super nice though and it's a soothing song overall. Considering this god awful genre, it was a good submission but it was just lacking in my opinion compared to the other. The high parts were REALLY good though like damn girl go OFF. (2/2)

Scott:
Why did this take an hour to get going? Awful category ider who picked it. I don't like this type of music and I guess she is very talented. It'll be a toss up with the other song.  (2/2)

Average: 2.00
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 1/2 with BURN by Jackie Evancho...JAXON!

Christian:
-Not going to lie, when I created this theme I was hoping Jackie Evancho would be submitted because she is one of my favorite artists of all time, so <3 hugs you! I've not listened or seen Hamilton so I have never heard of the original, but this version does go off. There were better choices off the album you could've gone with but this is still very well done, so congrats on earning my 1! (1/2)

Kellen:
For Popera this song slaps. Like I will never listen to this song again but considering the theme, this exceeded my expectations! She has a beautiful voice, but the song also doesn't put me to sleep like the opera was. It sorta has elements of a good song which makes it listenable wooo good job. (1/2)

Scott:
Oh this was actually way better than I expected. Again, horrible genre but song was bearable. Will never listen again if my life depended on it, but eh you did what you could for this. This beats the other submission by far! (1/2)

Average: 1.00
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Theme #2: Attached at the Hip
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 2/2 with Ghost by Au/Ra and Alan Walker...DELETE2544!

Christian:
-Au/Ra has such a haunting voice. I think this song fit the theme really well so great job on that! On the song itself, I feel there wasn't really a HOOK that sorta got me really invested you know? Like it is a great song, but is it one I'm going to blare on repeat until I hate it? Not really. Still a great submission though! Good luck! (2/2)

Kellen:
The vibes of this song really struck a chord with me. It's a really nice song and definitely hits the attachment style that you chose. It's a song I could definitely see me listening to again in the future and overall you really did everything the theme asked of you (2/2)

Scott:
I sorta really enjoyed this? It has a beat that I was really vibing with. Will have to see how it compares to the other one but I actually liked it. Very good submission!  (1/2)

Average: 1.67
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 1/2 with Better Dig Two by The Band Perry...JAXON!

Christian:
-Bald forgot they even had another song besides that dead girl one. Anyway it was nice! Catchy at times but sorta dragged at times, but I definitely got more and more invested in it as the song went on. Honestly this round was extremely close for me personally...like 51/49 so whoever doesn't get my point I'm sorry! Going to re-listen to both because this could go either way. (1/2)

Kellen:
OH BOPPPP. I feel bad for the first submission because it was really really good, but this song is just so good and something I vibe with a lot. Like when i saw this song I smiled and definitely sang along the entire time. It does take the attachment style to the extreme like you said and this was a perfect submission in my eyes, good work. (1/2)

Scott:
Not bad not bad. Sounds like a lot of other country songs where it picks up a lot at the chorus. I honestly enjoyed the other song more for this genre. I don't hate it by any means but I was really hoping for something a little better for this. (2/2)

Average: 1.33
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Theme #3: Say YES to Drugs
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 2/2 with Stay High (Habits) by Tove Lo...JAXON!

Christian:
-Eh it is a GOOD SONG...but like. I feel it is such a lazy submission for this theme LMAO. It was so big and basically the drug song when it was released, so I sorta feel like you played it a bit too safe with this category in my opinion. I would've liked to see more of a risk in the finale personally. Best of luck! (2/2)

Kellen:
This was a big song and it was a risk to submit something that was so popular. However, I do think it fits the theme obviously, the song is catchy and a vibe. Overall I really do like this song and the beat of it and the lyrics hit the theme so as of now, good submission but lets see if you played it too safe here. (2/2)

Scott:
A bop. I do like this a lot. It's a very easy going song that you can sorta just have playing when you're in a relaxing mood. Fits the theme but was very conservative. We shall see if it pays off! (2/2)

Average: 2.00
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 1/2 with Thrills by Sizzy Rocket...DELETE2544!

Christian:
-This really was a bop from start to finish! I appreciate how you took a risk and went for something more unknown for this theme *looks at the other submission* and in my opinion, really knocked it out of the park with this bop! Not even close in my opinion! Enjoy my 1 for this category! (1/2)

Kellen:
This was a great submission for the theme and I really like that you went with something not very well-known and took the risk. This is a finale and you have to bring it all out and I really think you did with this song. I was grabbed by the song the entire time like i didn't like fiddle around and do other stuff, so great choice here (1/2)

Scott:
This is giving me a 1990s/early 2000s pop funk feel. It's upbeat and catchy. I also haven't heard of it before and it wasn't bad at all. You took a risk and will be rewarded by me for it! (1/2)

Average: 1.00
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Theme #4: Underrated songs from artists with one hit wonders
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 2/2 with Past Love by Kimbra...JAXON!

Christian:
-To answer your question, no we don't remember her. Anyway this wasn't really that great either but it wasn't as horrific as that other song submitted this round so you sorta get my 1 by default. Hugs! (1/2)

Kellen:
Idk who this girl is but honestly this song didn't do anything for me, like i was sorta bored while listening to it. She doesn't have the vocals to like be boring yenno... but I know this was a hard theme so hugs, the other one was just sort of iconic (2/2)

Scott:
Very smooth and calming. It's not bad at all but now Idk who to rank ahead of the other. This was also mundane and just like something I didn't really get into. Grrrrr. Complete tossup for me. (2/2)

Average: 1.67
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Ranking 1/2 with Shark Attack by Grouplove...DELETE2544!

Christian:
-oh if this was the quality of their other songs...i get why they were a one-hit wonder. i'm sorry this just is not...good and it also sounds really muted maybe it's just the quality of the video you submitted but i was not a fan of this LMAO...best of luck! (2/2)

Kellen:
Honestly... sorta a BOP LOL. The song sounds like something that would be catchy if I cared enough to like listen to it over and over again. It's got that fun vibe to it and kind of a folky feel? Idk what instruments are all being used but sounds like a fun arrangement. IDK what their hit is but meh this should be it... BOP. (1/2)

Scott:
Ehhh. It was ok. Didn't really get into it like I was wanting to. It's not like trash or anything but wasn't catchy either. If we were ranking like 10 songs, this would probably be somewhere in the middle for me to put it into perspective. Going to depend on if I like the other song or not. (1/2)

Average: 1.33
787 days 4 hours ago
sjsoccer88
Which means it all comes down to this...

Who will be crowned the winner and earn the title of _KSMC AND $100???

open group

_, Kellen, & Scott Music Contest (_KSMC)

Promote this group outside Tengaged by placing the group picture and link on your own website, group or forum!
Copy and Paste the HTML code!